Saturday, August 9, 2008

Vegetable Beef Soup

It was a cold night in August. It felt more like late September. So Marjie decided that steak under the broiler would be just the thing, especially since she won't let her dearly beloved turn on the furnaces until at least September 15. Well, that's great, but what about me, with the stupid broken tooth? Soup, again; let's toss stuff in a pan and see what comes out the other side!

VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP FOR ONE

1/2 cup small beef cubes (about 1/4"x1/4" small!)

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1-1/2 cups beef broth
2 tbsp barley
1/2 cup broccoli
1/4 cup diced zucchini pieces
1/4 cup cut corn
1 tomato, diced small


Satue the beef in the olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until browned. Stir in the cornstarch until it coats the meat, then slowly stir in the beef broth. Add the barley, heat to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the vegetables and simmer another 10 minutes. Note to Paula: substitute diced potatoes for the barley, and it's gluten free for your baby. I have no potatoes in the house. ( How did that happen, I wonder?) This is another picture taken for your benefit, before I poured it in the blender. You really don't want to see pictures of brown mush with green grains in it, do you? It's just not a pretty sight.
But, hey, I go see Kevin and get my temporary crown Monday, so if he hasn't beaten up my gums too badly, I can eat real food Monday! Hooray!

3 comments:

Paula said...

Hi Marjie! Another great soup recipe. I just love beef veggie soup when it has corn in it. This will be a great soup for my little one (and me, too!). I like how you diced the meat small; I don't enjoy gigantic slabs of meat falling off my spoon. Also, I'm interested in your use of cornstarch. In the past, I'd have added flour, but obviously can't do that now. I'll have to give cornstarch a try. Great advice, too, about the potatoes. And ... I like soup both like this and pureed. It's been a cool weather summer here as well, perfect for soup. I hope your tooth doesn't give you trouble today, and good luck tomorrow with Kevin. Keep on with the soup recipes though! I LOVE them!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious, a great way to use up some veggies around here!

Sorry about your tooth...ouch.

pam said...

You poor thing! But your soups do sound good!