Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Milk Bread

I make bread almost every day. The little guys use it for sandwiches, although the college kids all bellow that they want WonderBread. But recently, my bread machine, a.k.a. great dough mixer, has been developing issues. For one thing, the little seal in the bottom of the bucket, around the mixing paddle, has been leaking lately. (It turns out that it had completely disintegrated.) This weekend, the thing in the bottom of the machine that turns the paddle froze up, but I managed to free it up. Last night, no dice. It wasn't turning. Attacking with pliers or screwdriver didn't do it, even my threat of sending it to the dump didn't do it. So, another one's on order, last night's bread came out of the lovely new Kitchenaid mixer, and all will soon be right in appliance world.

This bread is richer than many. It's got a nice, smooth texture, good flavor, and holds up well for toasting or sandwiches, even Fluff and Nutella!

MILK BREAD

1-1/2 cup warm milk
6 tsp yeast
4 cups flour

2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp butter

Add ingredients to bread machine in this order, or soften yeast in milk, stir in sugar & melted butter, and stir in flour with salt. Knead the bread for 10 minutes, then let it rise for 10 minutes. Transfer the dough to 2 greased loaf pans, and let it rise for about 1/2 hour, or until doubled in size. Bake at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. This crust will get quite dark if left in the oven. And my new bread blanket works really well, although my family still laughs at me for it!

7 comments:

Claire S. said...

Marjie, when you make your bread, is the "knead 10 minutes" IN the Kitchenaid or by hand ?

Prudy said...

Oh, your bread looks heavenly. I can't believe you even have time to keep a blog with your big family. I came from a family of ten kids and really wanted a big family of my own. For health reasons, we were only able to have two so I envy your big brood. I know how fun it can be.

Marjie said...

Claire, Either in the kitchenaid or by hand. At the slowest speed, the kitchenaid is almost as exciting as watchign paint dry. You'll need to stir with a wooden spoon for a few minutes before kneading by hand, if you're not using a mixer. Also, if you don't want your bread in about an hour, you can cut the yeast in half and it will take about 2 hours total. I never have the brains to plan that far ahead.

Prudy, my parents had only me. I love having a real family!

pam said...

My old bread machine paddles did that freeze up thing too. But, stupidly I kept trying in until I burned the motor out in my bread machine!

Paula said...

Marjie, Ok, have the appliance gremlins left the building? Gosh, first your mixer and now this. Glad you were still able to crank out your bread though! I adore your bread blanket! How's the tooth?

The Blonde Duck said...

That milk bread looks delicious! If I ever get talented enough, I'll have to try to make some.

How do you have so many children? I thought my Chihuahuas and husband were exhausting. You must be Superwoman!

Thanks for stopping by! I know my blog must be confusing. I often mix food, random stuff and whimsical little tales I come up with. That's what the Miss Pickles posts were all about, in case you thought I was crazy. Stop by again!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow that's beautiful! Love it! I need to do this.