Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sausage Grinders


Last night, I was lazy, so I concluded there was only one thing to do: cook an easy meal. I did, however, feel compelled to cook something better than spaghetti and meat sauce, because Patrick's leaving for college tomorrow. Knowing that everyone in my house loves sausage, and I have a new bread machine (AKA enclosed bread mixer), I was all set to cook.

Have I told you how I make grinder rolls before? Yes? No? Well, I don't remember, so I'll tell you again. It's simply my Italian bread recipe, with a bit of oil thrown in to make the bread softer, and the fact that Patrick took the last half of a loaf this morning, and layered it with leftover pork roast and BBQ sauce to make himself a breakfast grinder should testify to its goodness (if you bear in mind that Patrick is without a doubt the fussiest so-and-so on the planet).


ITALIAN GRINDER ROLLS

1-1/2 cups warm water
6 tsp yeast*
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil


Add ingredients in order to the bread machine, and let it knead for 10 minutes. Or, to mix by hand or in a mixer, sprinkle the yeast into the water, let it soften for 2 to 3 minutes while you gather the rest of the ingredients, then begin stirring the dry ingredients into the water/yeast combo. Add the oil before it's all combined, and knead by hand or in the mixer for about 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth. Let it rise 10 minutes, form into 4 loaves, let rise another 10 to 15 minutes, then bake at 375 for 16 minutes. Fresh, hot grinder rolls in under an hour - who could ask for more? *If you're not in that much of a hurry, cut the yeast in half and follow the same procedure, doubling the rising times. The baking time will remain the same.


And look at what you could be biting into in under an hour! Dang! I'm hungry again!

7 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Bread + meat +BBQ sauce = Delighted and drooling Blond Duck. When can I come for dinner?

Anonymous said...

Marjie....that looks delicious! Can't believe you did it in an hour & with homemade bread none the less! I may try that tonight.

BTW, I think you're allowed to "feel a little lazy"....geez...9 kids, homeschool, you bake your own bread, sew clothes, drive the road trips...I'm tired just reading about all the things you do!

Anonymous said...

This hardly looks lazy! Grind me one up, this looks terrific.

Prudy said...

What a great send off meal. If that is your idea of a lazy dinner, I'd love to stop by every sunday night.

Greg C said...

I haven't heard them called "grinders" in years. I always just call them sub samdwiches. My DW makes the best bread and I think it is time to coax her to make some for me. :)

test it comm said...

That sandwich looks really good!

calicodaisy said...

I love sausage grinders, especially when it's a roast beef and sausage grinder with au jus. Now I'm reminded of fair food in October around here.