Thursday, August 28, 2008

Breaded Parmesan Chicken

This is not, I repeat, NOT, to be confused with Chicken Parmesan, which I do love. I found this idea on Pam's blog, which she evidently borrowed from Ina Gartin (and I have no idea who SHE is, although I gather most folks do). Over the weekend, I actually found a MILKMAN who DELIVERS!!!!! Well, well, well, you know I was stunned. I got a few other goodies from him delivered yesterday morning, along with the milk; among those were a couple of herbs and a sack of tomatoes. Yes, I said a sack. Anyway, I remembered Pam's chicken idea, and, not really liking to follow recipes, not doing the frying thing or the grilling thing, I adapted to my peculiar lifestyle, added a couple of recipe tweaks, and, presto! White meat, which my dearly beloved despises, got a grade of A++. Dang! A miracle! So, here's my adaptation of Pam's adaptation of Ina's chicken thingy.

BREADED PARMESAN CHICKEN

3 pounds chicken, sliced into 1/2" thick pieces
2 eggs mixed with "some" milk
4 slices bread
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

oregano - fresh or dried
1 stick butter
1 cup shredded cheddar
basil leaves
slices of tomato

Melt the butter in the bottom of the broiler pan. To make the brea
ding, put the bread in the food processor to pulverize (I used my buttermilk bread), and add the oregano (I used the leaves from about 3 stems of fresh oregano) and cheese to blend. Side note for my friend Paula: if you make biscuits from your gluten free baking mix to make bread crumbs, it should work fine for your little one. Pour into a bowl. Dunk each chicken piece first in the egg mixture, then in the breading, and place in the melter butter in the broiler pan. When all are in the pan, flip them so the buttered side cooks first. Broil for 8 minutes on the first side, turn over and broil another 8 minutes. When the second side is cooked, top the chicken with the shredded cheddar, then put one basil leaf and one slice of tomato on top of each piece of chicken. Return to the broiler for 2 minutes. I served this with buttered tri-colored rotini and fresh summer squash (also from said farmer) sauteed in butter and pepper for about 4 to 5 minutes. Poor Thor didn't get a lot of leftovers, although there were 2 small pieces of chicken left for someone's lunch today. Give this a try! It's well worth the effort, and dinner was on the table, with me sitting there, 43 minutes after I walked to the stove. Fast is good!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ina Garten is "The Barefoot Contessa" on the food network. I've made a recipe or two from her. Generally very good and labor intensive! Your chicken looks great and our husbands must be related - mine doesn't like white meat either (too dry!).

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks like a recipe my mom has for swiss chicken! I love it. It's going in a file.

Not only am I an oddball with no theme, I'm an oddball who writes stories about creatures no one can understand! A co-worker who has been reading my blog for month had no idea who the Land of the Flowered Bed animals were (a story I often post parts of like Miss Pickles.) She thought I was writing a satire of work. I was like, "They're stuffed animals who have magical adventures!"

Le sigh. We shall eat Breaded Chicken Paremean and be misunderstood together!

Greg C said...

Ok what is a milkman doing delivering tomatoes and herbs? In my day, they only delivered milk. :)

Paula said...

What a great recipe!
I am going to make that tomorrow night!
Always such wonderful foods here at your blog!

Kathy R said...

I don't know what's better, your food or your dog pictures. Hm, tell your neighbors to edit the "beware of dog" sign to read "beware of doggy kisses". That's all a Lab will do to a stranger.

Anonymous said...

A milkman with tomatoes? Do tell, do tell!

Prudy said...

Oh, I love Ina's parmesan chicken. It's a big hit with everyone.

Paula said...

Your milkman must have thought he'd hit the jackpot when he found your house! This recipe looks great, and I love that sliced tomato on top! Great idea for making it gluten free, too. (You're so sweet!) I really like the combo of chix, cheddar, and tomato. A fast fix meal sounds right up my alley, too! Oh, and I'm with your beloved in preferring dark meat (although I love wings!)

pam said...

I love the fresh tomato on top. This looks like a great, fast weeknight dinner.

test it comm said...

This chicken sounds tasty. I like the tomato on top.