Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thor Playing

I almost forgot it's Thursday. The food post will wait until later.

Thor was playing with his lobster the other night. He puts his paws together around his lobster to pull it away from himself. I refer to him lying on his back as "full idiot pose".


He was also playing rope with Patrick; those two were tripping over the Calvert boxes. The boys have already peeked in their boxes; I'll look through them over the weekend, I think, and put things away.

This is Thor in the kitchen, while I was cooking last night. No one is allowed in the kitchen while I'm cooking, because one of my daughters, when she was small, ran under and jostled my elbow as I was removing a pan from the stove, causing hot sauce to spill down her back. I threw the pan back on the stove, grabbed her, and ran gallons of cold water through the hose down her back. She wasn't burned, miraculously enough, but the next weekend, I made my dearly beloved rip the closet out which had been between kitchen and breakfast room, and we had cabinets built to create my passthrough. I also issued a Mom Edict: Enter my kitchen during cooking uninvited, start planning your own funeral. It has worked for a decade. So after I took this very handsome picture of our boy, I evicted him from the kitchen, too!This week, Thor is a happy boy!

14 comments:

dogquilter said...

Wilbur has the awful habit of laying dead center in the kitchen floor and is an absolute hazard to cooking (and walking). I will have to try and apply your technique (or throw him outside which works too except for the barking). Thor is a handsome boy and I especially love the pic with his lobster!! Happy DOT!!

Anonymous said...

Oh your poor baby girl. It always scares me with the kids in the kitchen and it always seems they want to run around the island when I'm i there. I do my best screaming while I'm cooking.

The Blonde Duck said...

I think Thor is a perfect name for that dog!

Anonymous said...

Thor looks so adorable with his lobster! I guess he just wants to keep you company in the kitchen....and hopes something falls on the floor!
Our cat, Stripes, likes to sleep on his back on the desk while ds is working. Only problem is, he snores.

Unknown said...

Oh how I wish I could have a Mom Edict. However, mine would be that I never have to step foot in the kitchen again! I hate cooking.

Anyway - Thor is such a handsome boy, He and Beau would be great friends and they both would be tired in a minute :) Lucy loves to lay at the end of my island, between the cookbooks and the fridge while I am cooking. Silly girl.

Kathy R said...

What a sweet-looking pup and good-looking recipes too!

Paula said...

Thor looks like someone told Thor to "stick 'em up"! I get such a kick out of that pup playing with his lobster!
How scary that must have been with your little girl. It's incredible that she wasn't burned. Quick thinking, mom, with the hose! Glad the Calvert goods arrived; Cole had his initiation session this morning ... at 7:00 am our time! First actual log in class is next Thursday. I hope we are able to interact with you guys like we did last year.

Kenyetta said...

Thor is so adorable!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness he is adorable. I especially love the picture with the lobster LOL

Anonymous said...

When my two older children are over with their dogs in tow, both dogs try to take up residence laying on the kitchen floor to "help" me cook! SO far, it's always been one or the other over at a time. I would have no room to move if they were both in the kitchen with me. Last night I didn't stay in there long enough for Miss D. to get settled. I think she thought I was cooking the roast just for her!

Sonya said...

It is so funny to see a big dog rolling on his back with a toy in his mouth.

Scary, glad to know she is fine.

Firefly Nights said...

Thor is definitely a BIG boy. I think I'd have to evict him from the kitchen, too.

Paula said...

Elise has a bad habit of laying right in the middle of the kitchen when I am cooking and I have to kick her and the rest of the family out too!

Thor is really cute this week!

Peggy said...

Marjie...what a perfect name Thor for that big beautiful boy...he plays so cute! I have to shut off my kitchen also from dog traffic, somehow Chispa believes it does not apply to her...she'll go outside and push her way in through the kitchen door. Of course, Chimi jumps whatever I put to block it off...oh, well...mine is so little here, there just isn't space. I'm glad it's not because of the accident like you had...I'm so glad you recuperated
and MIRACLES kept no one from being burned! Thor looks so content laying there! Good photos!
Thanks and enjoy the weekend!