Thursday, August 7, 2008

Fish Chowder

In my quest to not chew, while waiting for my temporary crown next Monday, I've been hunting soup recipes. I found several that were somewhat appealing last night, but none were "just right". I was cooking haddock for my dearly beloved, so I decided to create a fish chowder. It was really good, and, while not as filling as the cream of chicken soup from the previous night, I didn't feel stuffed for a couple of hours afterward, either.

FISH CHOWDER

1/3 pound Haddock (or any white fish), boneless & skinless
1 tbsp. butter
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup small broccoli florets

1/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) powdered milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
fresh ground pepper

Melt the butter in a small pan and cook the fish in it, until the fish flakes apart. Add the chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Add the corn and broccoli, return to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the potato flakes and powdered milk, and cook another 5 minute
s. Stir in the cream, heat through, and serve with ground pepper. Serves one (me!). I ate it with the last of my sour cream bread from the previous night, warmed up (but not toasted).This was as good as any clam chowder. Yes, I know you are all gasping at the idea that Marjie could possibly use instant potato flakes for anything - so am I. But I had them in the cupboard for making potato bread without the fuss of boiling and mashing potatoes, and thought I'd give them a whirl in this chowder. Again, my picture was taken before I put my soup in the blender so it would be non-chewing texture. I will certainly be making this again!

6 comments:

Paula said...

You get a big thumbs up from this soup girl! Your chowder looks fantastic! I've not used the powdered milk, but have seen it in many baking recipes. Does it add to the creaminess? I bet the corn tastes great with the fish. Your china is beautiful, as usual. This would be so good when the weather starts to turn chilly. Yum!

Also, hope your tooth isn't giving you trouble.

grace said...

important question--do you say chow-der or chow-dah? it makes all the difference. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great soup. I always want to make chowder and then I get lazy...however you have just inspired me!

Nice blog too!

Unknown said...

I love your dishes! And I love the fact that you will dish up soup before blending it, just so you can photograph it. What we do for the blog - no? g

Breezy Point Mom said...

I am so sorry you are still suffering with dental misery. I wish you would jar up your soup, though, and ship it here. Looks awesome! Hang in there. I hope all goes off well with the temp crown. Blessings, Violin Mom in FLA (who suffered a post root canal flare up for about 5 days back in May and wouldn't wish that kind of pain on her worst enemy!)

test it comm said...

That looks good! I have been wanting to try a fish chowder.