Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Apple Roll

For my mixer's inaugural dessert, I decided to try - by which I mean mostly alter - a recipe in the Kitchenaid instruction book. Given my great success with the mocha roll a while back, I thought I'd try a more conventional jelly roll type dessert, this with apple pie filling.

I tried to put my filling on waaaaay too thick (note to self: don't put filling in a jelly roll 1/2" thick, you dope!), but the cake was superb, and the concept was sound. I cheated and used canned apple pie filling last night, which I chopped in the food processor, because I simply didn't feel like going out to get apples and make a filling, but the result was fine. Sometimes, canned is just the way to go, although as a generality, I avoid pre-made anything. I'll give you the recipe I've developed for apple coffee cake filling, which I would have used if I'd had apples, but the apple pie filling was good. If I'd been smart, I'd have sprinkled the pie filling with cinnamon before I rolled it, but then, I was not in peak form last night anyway. APPLE ROLL

Cake:

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt


Beat the eggs at high speed until thick and lemon colored, about 3 minutes. Slowly add the sugar and beat for another minute. At low speed, add the water and extracts, then beat in the flour, powder and salt. Beat at medium speed for another minute, then turn into a 10-1/2"x15" jelly roll pan which has been greased, lined with waxed paper, and the waxed paper is greased. Bake at 375 for 11 to 13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for a minute, then sprinkle the top with powdered sugar, place a clean towel over it, and invert onto wire racks. Remove the pan, peel the waxed paper off the cake, and roll up in the
towel to cool completely.

Filling:

3 cups grated or sliced apples
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water

1/4 cup butter


In a 4 cup pyrex cup, combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Stir in the water, cut the butter in pieces and put on top of the apple mix. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, stir and microwave again for 2 to 4 minutes, until the apples are soft. Let the filling cool completely while the cake cools.

Carefully unroll the cake, spread the apple mixture in a thin layer (1/4" or less), and reroll the cake. Place on a serving platter and spread whipped cream on the top and sides. Note that I didn't think of adding cinnamon to my cream as I whipped it, so I sprinkled it on top, then sprinkeld the cake with colored sugars for decoration. Refrigerate until serving.
Even though my filling was too concentrated in the center, because the cake refused to be nice and roll properly, it was pretty, and good, too! Remember, learn from my mistake, unless you want your apple roll to be a giant goop of apple filling surrounded by nice, light cake!

2 comments:

test it comm said...

That thick layer of apple filling looks good.

Anonymous said...

Pass me the coffee and a slice of this...it looks beautiful! That gooey apple filling just melts my heart. Yum.