Monday, June 15, 2009

Priscilla Cake With Royal Frosting

Fanny Farmer gave me my dessert offering last night. The cake was excellent; it tasted a great deal like pound cake, but wasn't nearly as heavy, and the frosting tasted like marshmallows. Some of the kids liked it, and some didn't. Thankfully, my littlest fussbudget loved the frosting, even though the cake rated only an "OK" from him. *sigh* I just can't win with that little weasel!

PRISCILLA CAKE

1 stick butter
3 eggs
1-1/3 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Beat the butter, then beat the eggs into it, one at a time. Beat at high speed until fluffy, then beat in the sugar and vanilla. At low speed, beat in half the flour mixture, followed by half the milk, then the balance of the flour mix and the remaining milk. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, then pour into a 13x9 baking pan (always my choice!) or 2 layer pans. Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes for the sheet cake, or 25 to 30 for the layers. Cool completely before frosting.

Royal Frosting

2 egg whites
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat the egg whites with the boiling water and cream of tartar until
foamy. Gradually add the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract, and beat until it forms soft peaks, 8 to 10 minutes. The lovely Mrs. Farmer does state that this frosting is not harmed by stopping during the beating process, for those inclined to try this process without a stand mixer. This made a very fluffy, thick, moist frosting, and did taste a great deal like marshmallows. As I said, some of the kids loved it, and for some, it was just too sweet.

Tomorrow: the first measly offerings from my garden!

9 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

why is it called a priscilla cake?

Pam said...

My marshmallow loving sister would really dig this cake!

Paula said...

This is lovely, and perfect timing for me. I have a friend named Priscilla who's had a run of bad luck. In the past two weeks, her husband was laid off, the next day he cracked some ribs, then the following Thursday, her son broke his arm in 3 places and is requiring surgery. (They are meeting with the surgeon as I type this.) I think I'll make this for them to give them a little bit of sweet in their life. Now, the trick will be to make it and get it out of the house before my beasts devour it!

buffalodick said...

That sounds about perfect for my taste buds right now!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you don't mind Thor was introducing the Gift today...

Claire S. said...

Too sweet ? What's that ? LOL - looks good.

SissySees said...

Another I must make for the Knight. He loves the pound cake, I find it too heavy. I don't know that he's EVER found anything too sweet!

noble pig said...

OMG that frosting looks to die for...I know I would love it.

grace said...

your description--" great deal like pound cake, but wasn't nearly as heavy, and the frosting tasted like marshmallows"--is just pithy and enticing enough to make me want this cake this second. i love the goopiness of the frosting hanging off the fluffy cake. mmm...