Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Banana Bread and Resolutions

In keeping with tradition, I've been thinking about New Year's resolutions. Easy first choice: lose 10 pounds in January. Easy second choice: sew 20 garments this year. Hard third choice: use more fabric than I buy. Beyond that, I can't find problems that are mine personally to solve. Make #2 son do better in college? He has to do it. Demonstrate for my husband every day that he's the most important thing in the world to me? Been doing it since the late 70s. Works well. You get the idea. So, I decided to try to eat breakfast a couple of days a week, starting with this nifty banana bread recipe I created this holiday season.

BANANA BREAD

2-1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup mashed banana (about 3)
1 egg
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
6 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts

Beat together banana & egg; add sour cream. Beat in sugar, flour, powder and salt; add oil, milk and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Stir in walnuts. Turn into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes for a 9x5 pan or 55 to 65 minutes for an 8x4 loaf pan. As with all nut breads, let sit overnight for best flavor. This is the best banana bread I've ever had, and I'm a fan of nut breads, because they aren't too sweet.

No comments: