Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Italian Potato Bread

This was the bread I served with my Chicken Wing Soup. Now, don't tell me there's no such thing as Italian Potato Bread. Just let me have my silly little creations!

ITALIAN POTATO BREAD

1-1/2 cups water
3 tsp or 6 tsp yeast
3-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes

4 tsp gluten
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Use 3 tsp if you have time to wait, or 6 tsp of yeast if you want your bread in an hour. Add the ingredients according to your bread machine directions, or mix following my suggestions (see link to the right), form into three baguettes, let rise, and bake at 375F for 17 to 20 minutes, depending upon how dark you want your crust.


My dearly beloved greatly enjoyed this bread. Indeed, he scolded me (just a little bit) for being stupid and making French bread the next night instead of making this again. Maybe that tells you something.

I noticed on the internet yesterday a headline that told me what I already knew: "Bread = Happy." Evidently, the thrust of this article is that a lack of complex carbohydrates makes people foul tempered. So, go ahead, make and eat bread!

And, since I've noticed that all of my bread pictures look fundamentally the same, here's my sorry effort to take a slightly different picture.

5 comments:

Pam said...

You KNOW I will love this bread. It has potatoes! Looks amazing as usual Marjie.

buffalodick said...

Trade you some honey wheat for that!

SissySees said...

Yummy! Another one to try...

tavolini said...

Smart idea--I bet the potato flakes make that a nice, soft bread.

Paula said...

I love potato bread, and it is my son's most favorite bread. I always have a loaf of it here at home, but mine is store bought ... not nearly as lovely as yours. And bread does equal happy in my book!