Monday, September 8, 2008

Banana Waffles


Who remembers when I ordered a case of bananas? Yeah, I do, too. The thing is, I just love bananas. And for some insane reason, although my dearly beloved swears that they're supposed to put weight on people, they actually take it off me (maybe part of the reason for the adoration of them?). So, every few months, I forget the previous lessons, and buy a case of bananas. I did it again last Tuesday. Of course, this means banana cake, this one in two layers with bananas and whipped cream between them and buttercream frosting on top (oh, be still my growing butt), banana bread, including loaves shipped to several college students, and, this weekend, a new creation: Banana waffles!

Some of you may remember that I wrote of my love for my waffle iron way back, about a year ago. I also gave you my insanely large recipe for waffle batter, in case you were planning to have 10 or 20 people sleep over at your house, or wanted to make your own "Leggo My Eggo" frozen waffles, or just really, really wanted to stuff your faces. Cut it in half; it'll be much better suited to a "normal" sized family. In my house, that recipe lasts less than 2 days.

You will notice that most waffle recipes call for the eggs to be separated, and the egg whites to be folded into the rest of the batter. That's too much fussing for my little world, where someone's always bellowing or wailing, "There's nothing to eeeeeaaaatttt here!" So this recipe is a "just dump it together and get it done!" thing; you can thank me later for saving you all that time.

I decided, given my case of bananas, that flavored waffles would be in order for the weekend's breakfast. So, I tried a small batch of this waffle batter. My youngest was most enthusiastic about this breakfast, and he is not a big fan of food. No one even noticed tha
t I replaced some of the white flour with whole wheat flour, making it much healthier than the original. You will definitely find me doubling this and making it again!

BANANA WAFFLES
2 cups flour

1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
2 bananas
3 eggs
2-1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup oil

Mash the bananas with your mixer, and add the eggs; mix well. Stir in the milk a
nd oil, then add the dry ingredients. Mix well, and measure into your waffle iron.; cook according to directions supplied with the iron Makes 6 to 8 waffles, depending upon the size. And, yes, this is my waffle on a "Pooh" plate. Doesn't Winnie the Pooh make everything more fun?

Oh, and Gaylen, I'm sorry I didn't finish my sewing, so I could post less food, as per your request. Remember, this is a healthy breakfast, and not fattening; I won't post a really fattening dessert tomorrow, either. Still friends?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Of course we're still friends :) Love the looks of that banana cake. If only my deck were done. . .

I won't hold the desserts against you. I make one at least once a week - but then Jay has to eat most of it. I swear your applesauce cake is on deck - soon! g

Paula said...

Bananas take the weight off? I'm ordering a case myself this very minute! I have to tell you that I laughed out loud, and am still laughing, at your "oh be still my growing butt" comment! My hubby and older kids would be at your doorstep every morning if they knew about this. I actually buy gluten free banana waffles for the wee one from Trader Joes. They are ok, but nothing to brag about. That banana cake looks so good. I never thought about making a banana cake before, just bread. Now I'm thinking banana cake is the way to go! I read another recipe this morning for banana upsidedown cake (at cookingdunkinstyle)that sounded great, too. I think fate is telling me to eat bananas! You are a cooking/baking machine!

Marjie said...

Paula, I posted the best banana cake recipe ever back last winter. I'll try to dig it up and email it to you.

Gaylen, I make my boys eat the desserts. That's one reason there's so much chocolate - I'm just not tempted!

Anonymous said...

A case of bananas? Holy cow that is a lot!

I love smothered in peanut butter, yum.

The cake looks amazing and the waffles I am going to give a whirl. Sounds delicious.

Paula said...

Hey Marjie ... Thanks for the recipe! The sliced banana filling idea just about rocked my world. Wanted to let you know that my outgoing email is not working. Inbound is great, but outbound goes into never never land. Hubbyman is going to reset it tomorrow for me. Sigh. I'm guessing you (and others) didn't get the msgs I sent last week either. UGH! I'll type up new ones after the email is fixed.

Pam said...

My kids would love these waffles. I am definitely going to bookmark this recipe! The cake looks beautiful too.

Prudy said...

Congrats on your award. I'd eat a case of bananas if they took some extra off. Your waffles sound wonderful and I can now testify that your Port bread is perfect. WE loved it and I can't wait to have it as a sandwich today.

grace said...

great waffles, great plate. i'm an eeyore fan myself. :)

pam said...

I want a pooh plate and some banana cake. Now, please.

Marjie said...

Pam, we have 2 Pooh plates; I'll have fresh banana cake ready when you get here.