Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11/2001: I Will Never Forget

Americans are a generous and tolerant people, although widely considered rude and obnoxious through the rest of the world.

I do not understand the intolerance of the religious extremists who sought to wreak such havoc on our country 7 years ago today. Today, I mourn on behalf of the thousands of families whose lives were forever scarred. I will never forget your losses, nor the hatred which caused such heartache. I remember the funeral procession for the young woman who had graduated from high school near here a few years previously.

I remember my young second cousin, 3 months into her first job in NYC, who was so frightened by 9/11 that she abandoned all of her possessions and fled home.

I remember the attorney for the firm against whom we had filed suit, who escaped the towers, and immediately thereafter called our lawyer and gave us exactly what we sought.

I hadn't been in NYC for in excess of a decade before 9/11, but I can never forget.

3 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

very well put.... I have read on a blog where this particular person loosely states that this has become 'commercialized' and he is able to make that statement all the way from ohio

Pam said...

Nice post. It's a day we will never forget.

Linda said...

It's a day I'll never forget. I was in the doctors office when I first heard and there was hardly a person in town that wasn't glued to the television. I heard somewhere after that that we'd always remember when and where we we're and what we had been doing that day.