Friday, September 26, 2008

Grapes

About 3 years ago, my son Jeffrey planted some grape vines at the edge of the area where the kids park their cars. First, he thought it would make it look nicer, and, secondly, Jeff is a fan of "free food". And fruit bearing things constitute "free food," of course! I know my grapevines are overgrown, or too bushy, or something, but I don't like to cut down green plants. Besides, I think the bushiness of the plants protected the grapes from the birds.
Fast forward to this summer, when Jeff was complaining that he's never gotten any of his grapes, because he was in college the fall when they bore their first fruit. So when the boys announced on Tuesday that there were ripe grapes, I gave them a colander, scissors, and sent them to harvest!

Wrapped in white muslin, and carefully packaged to avoid bouncing around in the box, 5 pounds of grapes winged their way toward Jeff. These are concord grap
es, which is what grape juice is made from, and the flavor is unbelievable. Aren't they delectable looking?

Well, if we get a break in the rain, the boys are going out to get more grapes this afternoon, and we'll try our hand at grape jam. I will let you all know how our experiment goes!

12 comments:

Paula said...

Concord grapes are my hubby's favorite. His mom used to make grape juice with them, and he raves about that juice to this day! The boys look so big now! Hope they are enjoying the new school year!

dogquilter said...

Wow how wonderful for you that your children are interested in gardening too! Great looking grapes.

Pam said...

I love grapes, especially concord. It's my favorite juice. I am totally looking forward to your grape jam recipe.

Christo Gonzales said...

deeeeeluxxxxxx, I am a HUGE fan of free food...remember I forage for mushrooms...those look excellent.

Anonymous said...

Concord grapes are so delicious. How nice that you have them right in your back yard to enjoy.

Prudy said...

When we lived in upstate NY the local specialty was grape pie. Very yummy stuff!

grace said...

my grandpa grows grapes, and every year, they pretty much take over his garden. i love 'em. good luck with that grape jam--it's hard to beat! :)

pam said...

My grandmother always grew grapes. I wish we could. I also wish we would get some rain!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the jam.

imjacobsmom said...

Mmmmm! What a bounty! Jeff's a lucky guy! ~ Robyn

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so freaking cool! I want some grapes in my yard. Of course with my luck, my dogs would become grape eating fiends.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your children must be proud to bring in such a delicious harvest. I can't wait to see what you will make with these grapes!