Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday Night Notes






I'm ashamed to say I've been a sewing slacker of late. I made most of this yellow dress a couple of weeks ago, and finally got to setting the sleeves and putting in the hem last weekend. Don't pay much attention to my appearance, since I took this picture at 1AM, after 17 hours up and about, but Gaylen was recently asking what's coming out of the sewing machines, and I'm ashamed to admit that it's precious little.

Sunday I cut out a white dress from the same pattern as the yellow one (it's my favorite princess seamed dress). I got the body of the dress together, and then discovered that I had completely botched the facing. And, WHAM! Just like that, progress is over. I did make the facing, again, from a different fabric, because I had absolutely nothing left of this fabric, and got it pinned in place, but the rhythm was gone. I do want to finish this dress soon. The fabric is a heavy knit, not sweater weight, but certainly reminiscent of a sweater, and I've been dithering for several years while deciding which pattern is exactly right for this fabric.

On board afte
r the white dress, another white dress from a different fabric and a different pattern, then the Thanksgiving dress. I have this fabric for that, just haven't decided what I want to turn it into. The fabric is a darker color than the picture shows, but it does have the sparklies on it. I'm not entirely sure I'm a sparkly girl, but my daughters found it for me last winter, and they loved it, so I have to use it for something. I suppose that next weekend I will have to drape the fabric around myself and wander around for a little while, figuring out what it wants to be.


Also, before Thanksgiving, I want to do something with my family room drapes (these are only 2 of the 4 windows in there). I think I have a plan, involving the drapes, hunter green chintz, and several hours of machine time. Updates as I go along, but, having told all of you that I want to get this done in the next 2 months, I may actually shame myself into completing the project.



Lastly, for Pa
ula's picky eaters, look at this lovely plate! My husband's grandmother bought this depression glass new, and he got it when the family moved her to a nursing home. Myself, I don't like food touching, either, but I'd be afraid to use 75 year old plates just because I don't want my food in association with other foods. But, Paula, if you were really, really, really considerate of the twins' feelings, you'd hunt down antique plates like this for them! Just kidding, tell them to suck it up; it will help with their intestinal fortitude down the line.

Tomorrow, I'll bring you silver white cake. Until then, sweet dreams in blogland.

11 comments:

Prudy said...

A sewing slacker? YOu are one talented woman! I think I better stick to Halloween costumes.

Paula said...

If there's one word that can never be applied to you, it's slacker. Okay, this post was FULL of stuff. First, my friend, you look like you are shrinking! Eat some cake! I like the yellow dress, both the cut and color. I haven't seen long sleeves on you since last year, and I like how the shoulders of this dress look on you. Next, how can your hair look that good at 1:00 am? You know I zeroed in on your necklace, too! How sweet of your girls to get you fabric; you must miss them so much, and I bet Thanksgiving will take on a family reunion flair! Let's see, oh, I was just wondering (really I was!) what you had decided about the drapes. I look forward to seeing the final product. And, OH MY GOSH, hold onto those plates! Years ago, I used to collect antique depression glass. I hunted for "Princess" and "Sandwich" patterns. When we moved out west, some of the pieces were destroyed. Grrr. When I saw your photo, my jaw literally dropped. Those are LOVELY pieces. Sweet dreams!

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Woowoo Marjie this looks fab!! How can you look like this at 1am for goodness sake? I am also checking out the curtains behind you in that photo - they also look lush. Please tell me you didn't make those? You need to set up an Etsy shop!

The Blonde Duck said...

I think that dress is sooo cute! Work it girl!

And come to my blog. You have an award!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Everytime I read your blog Margie, you amaze me more and more. To top it off you can carry off wearing a short dress! Slacker - NO WAY!

Breezy Point Mom said...

Let me tell you my sewing slacker story. My DS8 is going to be in a wedding party, and we bought him a suit this weekend. The wedding is October 14. So guess what, I took the pants to town to the local Vietnamese alteration shop to have them HEMMED! Now that's a slacker! Told my DH that I wanted the kids to have an opportunity see a hard working Asian couple at work in a successful small business. Yeah, right!

Unknown said...

Love the dress and I agree with Paula - my first thought was you are shrinking! Eat some cake.

Are those the same curtains you dithered about earlier this year? Hope you worked something out. g

Linda said...

Talented, talented. I hate that too when the moment is gone and I can restart the engine. I have an old plate just like yours that I found in my mother in laws give away pile.

pam said...

I haven't sewn since July. But I'm really feeling the urge. I love your plates, they are so pretty.

Greg C said...

Cute dress. I like the picture. I saw some plates just like that at Goodwill a short time ago. I guess I should have bought them.

Anonymous said...

I have a large beautiful bowl that would match your plate. An heirloom of my mother-in-law. Ilove that pink glassware.

the bloghopper