Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Silvery White Cake

Yes, it's the cake I've been promising you: the companion to the Gold Cake from last week. This came from the same McCalls cookbook, and everyone except my youngest loved it. I guess he just doesn't like almond extract. (I was so excited to find real organic almond extract at amazon.com; I've never been able to find anything except imitation almond extract at the grocery store!)

Anyway, without further ado, I present for your culinary delight,

SILVERY WHITE CAKE

2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1-1/2 cups sugar

3-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
5 egg whites
1 cup milk

1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Let the egg whites you've saved from your delectable gold cake c
ome to room temperature, about an hour. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease and lightly flour 2 layer pans or a 13x9 sheet pan.

Sift together the flour, sugar, powder and salt. Add the butter, 3
/4 cup milk and extracts. Beat just until ingredients are combined at low speed, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping side of bowl often. Add the unbeaten egg whites and the rest of the milk, and beat for 2 minutes longer. Pour the batter into prepared pans, bake layers 30 to 35 minutes, or oblong 35 to 40 minutes. Cool and frost with buttercream frosting flavored with almond extract instead of vanilla.

And, Paula, I don't find it necessary to store cakes with buttercream frosting in the refrigerator, although they rarely last more than 2 days anyway. However, I admit that when I make the kids' birthday cakes, they always store the remains in the fridge; they love the frosting cold!

As you can see from the color in this picture, the cake really does have a silver cast to it!

I ate sort of a lot of this cake over the 2 days it lasted, but my dearly beloved and 12 year old just tore through it! My youngest did prefer the gold cake. Well, at least I know I can make them both back to back again, and have them all consumed!

9 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks gorgeous! Yum!

Paula said...

So there are just egg whites used here? It is a lovely cake almost too pretty to cut ... not that that would stop me! Thanks for the info on storing leftover cake. I bet this would taste great with your homemade ice cream!

Pam said...

I'll take a slice please...pretty please? You are such an amazing baker!

I am also really impressed with your sewing skills (the yellow dress looks great). I have a wonderful sewing machine that I never use because I am totally intimidated by patterns. UGH!

Anonymous said...

Gulp....that frosting hanging over the edge makes me stomp my feet like a preschooler until I get some! I happen to love almond extract so send me his piece please!

Prudy said...

That cake looks beautiful. The texture is just perfect. I love having cake around, it just feels so festive. It always makes me think of Bed Time for Frances and when she slips out of bed to discover her parents enjoying cake. I so wish I could be a fly on the wall at your house. Your family seems so loving and fun.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your cake looks heavenly. I love having fresh baked stuff around the house. Margie you are an amazing baker.

...you can cook the pork in the oven...I would cover it and cook it at about 250 to 300 for several hours, until it's falling apart and easy to shred.

grace said...

this is a gorgeous cake! it could definitely be used for special occasions of all sorts. very nice! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

It's me Linda (Homeschooling6) I have been meaning to leave a comment forever. I love your blog and all the photos.

Thanks for sharing,
Linda<><

Maria said...

The cake looks very nice. I love almond extract!!