Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Butterscotch Fingers

My dearly beloved loves butterscotch. So do I, but I don't bake for myself; I must protect my hindquarters from overload to whatever degree I can, after all.

For many years, I had a little index card sized box. Wrote recipes on cards, cut some out of newspapers or magazines and stuffed them in the box, whatever I needed to do. Well, about 2 years ago (maybe longer - time runs together) I found a little binder with pages for holding recipes in sleeves, and lightweight cardboard pages on which to
write recipes, and cute little dividers for different types of food, and it was on a clearance table for $2.00. Of course, I knew it had to go home with me. A long time later - last winter, I think, but maybe the winter before - I took apart my box. It took 2 afternoons to go through, throw out recipes I knew I'd never make and organize the rest. Some were so disheveled that I put several to a page and xeroxed them; others lived to be glued to a page, but it's worked out pretty well. Anyway, last weekend I was looking in my book for a recipe for lemon bars, which I knew was in there, and stumbled upon this recipe, which was doubtless cut out of a magazine, and in rough shape when I put the book together. And I knew my husband and boys would love it, so it appeared Saturday.

BUTTERSCOTCH FINGERS

1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg

1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a mixing bowl, pour the butter over the brown sugar, and stir together. Mix in the egg followed by the flour, powder and vanilla. Note: the batter will be quite stiff. Stir in the chopped nuts and press into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 square pan. Bake at 325 for 22 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
My dearly beloved helped me out on Saturday. After the little guys had gone to bed, he cleaned the pan for me. Sunday he was bemoaning the fact that "someone" had not made more butterscotch fingers, so more appeared for Sunday dessert, with butterscotch pudding (made from my butterscotch meringue pie filling recipe).
That batch lasted until Monday morning's breakfast.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! And I bet your dearly beloved doesn't have an extra ounce of fat on him, does he? Those look lovely. I'll say it again - the problem is there are only 2 of us in my house and I would eat more than my share (one). I might have to try this one though. g

Paula said...

You spoil those men in your life!! I got a kick out of the "someone" comment. They are lucky to have you, and lucky to enjoy these fingers! These sound really good, and it looks like they are pretty easy to make. *sigh* I guess I should get moving and spoil my people, too.

Claire S. said...

Marjie, your recipes are always tempting, but I have the same problem as Gaylen, only 2 people in the house.

Add to that, we don't like the same things so a batch of anything gets eaten by ONE person ! Yeah, don't think so LOL! DH does like his sweets though, except chocolate, so when I bake it's usually something for him.

Peter M said...

I think these fingers would hold up well in the mail. I think you should mail me some!

Anonymous said...

Can I be one of our dearly beloveds? Looks awesome...breakfast...sounds good!

Pam said...

You are so good to your honey. He's a lucky guy. The butterscotch fingers look and sound delicious! The pudding does too!

The Blonde Duck said...

I don't think I could have made it last that long. It looks so good!

Marjie said...

Everyone come on over! I'll make plenty.

Peter, yours are in the mail, but I don't guarantee they'll make it across the border; I've heard customs agents are a hungry lot!

Anonymous said...

Yum! That looks delicious, Margie! Easy too. I'll have to try some tonight.
BTW, my ds saw a photo of you & the boys and asked how old you were. I told him, probably about my age. He said, "Wow she looks so good. How does she do it?".
Thanks, Marjie...

grace said...

i adore butterscotch, even those little "butterscotch" morsels that don't really taste anything like the real thing. these wouldn't last long in my presence, no ma'am. :)