Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Too Many Bananas

Out of many years' habit, I find myself frequently overbuying. This was the case last Friday, when my grocery delivery came in. I had joyously ordered a case of bananas - after all, everyone loves bananas! They make wonderful baked goods! They're terrific over ice cream! They'er a great early morning starter food! Uh, oh. I forgot that there are only 6 of us home right now, and, even though 4 of the other 5 arrive in the next 3 weeks, that won't save us from a case of bananas.

This was the top of my refrigerator on Monday morning, after a weekend of everyone stuffing themselves with bananas (after which they were half gone):Then, I came up with a brilliant plan: Start cooking, you fool! So, yesterday, I sent a loaf of banana bread to each of the 3 college kids within one day UPS travel (and have received 3 adoring phone calls today), made a banana cake, this one with vanilla frosting, and banana muffins, and found a delightful recipe for a yeast raised Banana Wheat bread.

BANANA WHEAT BREAD


1 cup warm water
6 tsp yeast
2 mashed bananas
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour


Mix together in the bread maker. Let rise, punch down and put into 2 4x8 loaf pans. Let rise again, and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, or until desired darkness is reached.
This was great alone, and made very nice peanut butter sandwiches, according to my 11 year old. It was also excellent toasted; my boys reported to me that the butter soaked into it really well when it was toasted.

Of course, the bananas only cost $15 for the case. How could I have refused them? Note to self: I will not over order. I will not over order...(until next time)

6 comments:

Debbie Cook said...

I'm so glad I found your blog. We seem to be on the same wavelength a lot. Just this morning I was contemplating the overripe bananas on my kitchen counter and now they're mashed and being made into this bread. I gotta ask, though (even if it's too late for this batch), it's definitely SIX teaspoons of yeast??

Marjie said...

Yes, 6 teaspoons. Actually, you can use half that, but it takes twice as long to rise. I'm always impatient; I start the bread at 9 and want it for lunch! I haven't found any change in the flavor of the bread, just the speed at which it rises. Two loaves of this bread was gone in about a day and a half. Thankfully, all of my bananas are now gone; soon the kids will be hollering for more...

Debbie Cook said...

Thanks, and I can relate to impatient! Your bread slices looks perfect BTW.

Debbie Cook said...

Me again. LOL! Just wanted to let you know my bread turned out FANTASTIC! I love the hint of banana, the color, and the nice texture. Definitely keeping this recipe.

Marji said...

oh, I can see I'm going to have to bookmark your blog and come back frequently. Your recipes and food look delicious.
I had to smile at "only 6 of us home" right now.

Marjie said...

Debbie, I'm so glad you liked this! My boys were asking for more today.

Marji, thanks so much for dropping by!