Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Magic Cake

Everyone loves magic, right? And everyone loves cake, right? Those of us who make the cake love it even more when we don't even have to use a bowl to make the cake! And it can, and should, be served 5 to 10 minutes out of the oven, eliminating the need to plan more than an hour ahead. That's close enough to perfect for me.

This was not called "Magic Cake" by Betty Crocker, when she put it in her "Shortcut Cooking for the Smart Cook". I believe she c
alled it "Hot Fudge Sundae Cake" or something to that effect. However, Ryan, many years ago, in his infinite 3-year-old's wisdom, called it Magic Cake the first time he saw it. And magic cake it has stayed.

This is a p
erfect transitional (read: autumnal) dessert. It's warm, since it's a cake, but it's cool, served with ice cream. And it makes its own hot fudge to top off the cake and ice cream. What are you waiting for? Everyone in the house will enjoy this one.

MAGIC CAKE


1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp bak
ing powder
1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

1 cup packed brown sugar
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1-3/4 cups
very hot tap water

ice cream
whipped cream

Heat oven to 350.

In a 9x9x2 or 10x7x2 ungreased pan, stir together the flour, white sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix in the milk, oil, and vanilla with a fork until the batter is smooth. Stir in the nuts, if desired. Spread evenly in pan.


Sprinkle the entire top of the cake batter with the brown sugar, then sprinkle the 4 tbsp cocoa evenly over the brown sugar. Pour the hot water over the top of the cake. Yes, I know this sounds wrong. It goes against everything you know, but it does work.

Bake the cake uncovered for 40 minutes. The cake will not have a sunken top if it is fully cooked, but testing will not tell you if it's done. This is what you'll take out of the oven. It looks rather crusty, but it gets better when you serve it.

While it's warm, put the cake on serving plates. Top with ice crea
m, and spoon the hot fudge from the bottom of the pan. Voila! The Magic! Top each with whipped cream for a real sugar coma and caloric nightmare. I promise you'll love it. (Shown without whipped cream for the full mouthwatering effect.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

THIS is as sinful as it gets and I am so onboard with you! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my this looks decadent! And delicious!

Unknown said...

That looks so good. But wait - you don't even like chocolate! You are a saint :) g

Pam said...

It looks so rich and delicious. I know my husband and children would go crazy for it.

Paula said...

Oh. My. Gosh. This is totally decadent! My hubby calls this lava cake; I just call it incredible! This is one of those cakes where you lick the pan afterward! That last photo is killer! Awesome job, Marjie!

Prudy said...

I've made this cake before and I used to make it quite often during the very low fat trend of the 90s. It's delicious!

grace said...

oh heavens--a self-saucing cake is hard to beat! i'd say that i'd be satisfied with just a sliver, but it'd be a flat-out lie. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

The only magic is that I'm allergic to chocolate. Otherwise I'd wisk myself to your house, inhale that sucker and run away before you found out!

test it comm said...

That cake looks really good with the liquid chocolate at the bottom.

Lucy..♥ said...

Oh my word... that photo has me drooling.... and I know a few folks in this house would go wild over this!!!

imjacobsmom said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this! I'm glad that I stumbled upon Dogs on Thursday and discovered your blog, you have such delicious recipes! ~ Robyn