Friday, February 1, 2008

Orange Muffins

As I've said before, I love muffins. Mini muffins. Not too sweet, and since they're mini, I can have more than one! We had about 1/2" of snow this morning, topped with freezing rain, creating about 1/2" of ice on top of the snow. Needless to say, no one went anywhere. Can anyone say, "It's a good morning for muffins"?

ORANGE MUFFINS

1-3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. powdered milk
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 cup orang
e juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp lemon extract
1/2 cup chopped almonds

Sift together the dry ingredients, then mix in the wet ingredients. Stir in the c
hopped almonds; spoon into mini muffin pans and top with a bit of sugar. Bake at 400 for about 12 minutes, or until just done. Makes 3 dozen.

I've had the heat up to 74 all day, in case we lose power, and had very large thermoses of boiling hot water and coffee on the counter, along with oil lamps and candles lined up on the kitchen table. If the power goes out, I'm ready, and I convince myself if it doesn't go out that the very act of my having prepared for the emergency caused the electric company to say, "Dang! We'll have to go someplace else to upset someone!" But aren't the arbor vitae outside my bathroom window pretty with the ice on them? (As long as the ice doesn't pull down the power lines).

2 comments:

Peter M said...

Orange zest is used for cakes so why not muffins? They look really good Marjie.

Anonymous said...

I remember ice on top of the snow! The trees always looked so sparkly. As a kid, I thought it was cool to be able to walk on top of the snowpack without sinking into it. One year, there was so much ice and snow on our house that it ripped the gutter right off ... I can still hear the roaring and screeching sound it made. I grew up in a beautiful old colonial style house, and we used to stand on top of the old cast iron floor heating grates to keep our feet warm. What does your doggy think about this slippery stuff? Keep warm with muffins and mugs of hot chocolate! Paula