Thursday, February 21, 2008

Beef Stroganoff


Another delightful Pierre Franey creation, with only minimal changes to his recipe. Again, because I cook for so many people, I don't use the skillet, preferring instead to use the broiler.

2 pounds steak, cut into strips
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp paprika
1/2 cup white wine
1-1/2 cup sour cream

Melt the butter in the bottom only of the broiler pan; add the onion and cook until golden. Add the steak, and flip to coat both sides with butter & onion. Broil for 3 minutes, turn strips and broil for 2 minutes. Pour pan juices into a saucepan, and add the wine. Boil until reduced by half. Reduce the heat, add the sour cream and heat. (I preheated the sour cream in the microwave for a minute or 2 to shorten this time). Pour the sauce over the steak in the broiler pan, return to the broiler and reheat for a minute. I served these with what my daughter calls "heart attack potatoes" and broccoli; everyone wanted me to make this again soon. (Note that this is my "small family" adaptation - 5 people)

Heart Attack Potatoes:

Slice red skinned potatoes 3/16" to 1/4" thick; boil until tender (I use 2 pounds when not everyone's home, and 5 pounds when they are) with salt to taste. Drain the potatoes. Put 1/2 to 3/4 stick butter per pound of potatoes (good quality margarine can be substituted for half the butter) in the pan to melt. Grind in a goodly amount of black pepper, and add 1 tbsp chopped parsley per pound of potatoes. Add the potatoes back to the pan, stir well, and enjoy.

No comments: