Friday, February 22, 2008

George Washington's Birthday

Happy Birthday, George Washington!

OK, so I never knew George personally. Sorry to disappoint my kids, but even I am not quite that ancient. Actually, his birthday was originally February 11, but after he was born, the calendar was adjusted to reflect 2000 years' worth of no leap days (or something like that), so his adjusted birthday became February 22. Hey, if it was OK with George, it's alright with me.

To celebrate George Washington's birthday, we're having a Virginia ham tonight, with as yet undetermined accompaniments. We will also be observing George Washington's personal code of conduct, or specifically, the part wherein he states, "Fault not the food...:

Happy birthday, als
o, to my grandfather. He'd be 97 now, not quite as old as George....My grandfather was from San Antonio, and never let anyone forget he was a Texan. He taught me to read before I was 5, and told be I should be a school teacher so I'd be perpetually employable. He also had his first stroke before I was born, so I never knew him to be in good health. Nonetheless, he was a great looking, high spirited man - probably more fun than old G.W.

Isn't this a great photo? My grandmother made this rock garden in their back yard, and I never saw my grandfather, in person or in photos, not wearing a sport coat. I really do miss the days of people dressing up (even though I was never there).

Happy birthday to two of my favorite historical people!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a lovely tribute to your grandfather.