Saturday, August 11, 2007

Waffles


I've had many waffle irons, but my newest has to be the all time champ. When my oldest son came back from college at the end of his first year, he urged me to get a restaurant style waffle iron, which was ever so much faster than the ones we'd had at home. When my fourth son came back and told me the same thing, I found this Waring Pro at Amazon.com and bought it. I searched through my old cookbooks for waffle recipes, and finally created this based on several I found in late 50s/early 60s cookbooks:

WAFFLES

5 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
4-1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup powdered milk
2-1/2 cups cold water
2 tbsp baking powder

Beat the eggs & sugar until well combined; add the other ingredients and beat one to 2 minutes, until smooth. Use 1/2 cup batter per waffle for a small waffle iron, 2/3 cup for my new Waring Pro. The batter keeps well in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. The waffles are lighter using this new waffle iron, I think because after you load it, you flip it, so the batter runs to the former top of the iron, and cooks more evenly. In my house, this quantity of waffle batter never lasts more than 2 days, but with 10 or 11 people home in the summers, that's hardly a surprise. Cleanup is a breeze, because there's a removable stainless tray at the bottom of the unit, which catches the slopover. (And the Tony Tiger cookie jar I got back around 1968 for eating 6 boxes of cereal and sending the tops in with a quarter sure does look like he wants that waffle).

No comments: