Friday, August 24, 2007

Roast Chicken

So, Roast Chicken isn't anything special. There's not much prettier easy food than a nicely browned poultry. It's been unseasonaly cold here for a week - not above 60 degrees - so I decided to do a chicken last night. I'm not a fan of stuffing in the bird, so I quarter an onion and 2 carrots, and stuff the bird with those. Just a touch of sea salt - less sodium than regular table salt - and freshly ground pepper, and you have a great smell in the house for a couple of hours before dinner. When I cut the breast meat off the bone, I toss the carcas in a large pot with the onion and carrots from the bird, barely cover them with water, and simmer while we eat and I clean up. Strain through a cheesecloth lined strainer, and you have the best chicken broth or soup base ever! I freeze it in custard dishes, so it's available for lunchtime soups, or for any recipe calling for chicken broth or bouillion. Like I said, not fancy, but for "healthy" and "Low calorie" with plenty of flavor, this is the method to use.

No comments: