Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Chicken with Carrots & Pineapple

I was inspired to create this for a recipe that I saw for Chicken with Rice & Prunes. Not a big fan of prunes here; their reputation leaves me not too eager to partake. But it did cause me to consider a sweet and spicy sort of flavoring. I bake the chicken until it's nearly finished, then add the veggies and sauce mix. Put the rice in a pot for the last 20 minutes, and it's nearly an effortless meal. What more can anyone ask on a Tuesday?

CHICKEN WITH CARROTS & PINEAPPLE

5 lbs. chicken
Sea Salt to taste
Garlic Powder to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Put these in the oven at 350 degrees until the chicken is nearly done. Start the rice just before you start the next step.

2 can cut pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
1 lb. sliced carrots
2 to 3 scallions, chopped up
3 tbsp cornstarch

Add water to the reserved pineapple juice to make 2 cups. Whisk in cornstarch until smooth. Pour over chicken in pan, and stir to mix with pan drippings. Add the carrots, pineapple and scallions, and return to the oven. Bake about 15 minutes, or until done. Serve over a bed of hot rice. Serves 12 (5 of whom are very large males).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so funny that you mention prunes. I just snuck them into a dish a few days ago. :oD The recipe called for a mango chutney with raisins, but I lacked raisins, so I cut up prunes instead.