Friday, September 21, 2012

Southern Peach Pie

This is another pie from my recent Wall Street Journal find, The United States of Pie.

Mrs. Kane, the author, notes that this should really be called "Southern Inspired Peach Pie," because southerners often use canned peaches in their peach pies.  And she called for fresh peaches, but I used frozen, because that's what I had.  So, here it is, in all its juicy and delectable glory.

SOUTHERN PEACH PIE

Dough for 2 crusts (try my "best ever" ----->)
2 pounds (7 to 8) peaches, peeled and cut (I used 2.5 pounds frozen)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
2 tbsp butter, cut in small pieces

Peel and slice your peaches.  Or, use frozen, as I did:  Put the frozen peach slices in a strainer, and rinse to remove any frost.  Put the peaches in a bowl, and stir in 1/4 cup white sugar, cover, and let thaw in the refrigerator overnight.  When you're ready to proceed, line your pie plate with one pie crust (or use store bought 8" crust). If using frozen peaches, pour the liquid out of the bowl.  Into the peaches stir the sugar and almond extract.  In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon and salt.  Stir together, then spoon into your pie crust.  Dot the peaches with the butter.  Roll out the second crust, crimp the two together, cut slits into the top crust for vents, and put it in the oven at 425F for 15 minutes.  Reduce the oven to 375F, and continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes.  Let the pie cool before cutting, or it will fall apart.


Now, clearly, I'm not so good at crimping my crusts together.  Happily, the heating element in my new oven is hidden, so cleaning the sloppage off my oven floor isn't as horrid as it could be.  I also used a 10" pie plate instead of a 9" plate, so my baking time was less.  My dearly beloved says he doesn't often care for peach pie, because it's frequently too sweet, but he loved this. Happily, Dan left him a slice the next day, and he said it was even better on the second day.  Of course, the boys loved it, too, so this will go in the annals of "Mom had better make this again!!!"

And I'm thinking of making mass quantities of pie crust this weekend, and freezing them, so I can pretend I'm a competent pie maker at the drop of a hat.  Hey, if it works for the doughboy, it should work for me, right?  Hmmm.  Maybe I'll make a pictorial on how to use your food processor to make the Best Pie Crust Ever.  Or maybe not.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

5 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

Oh... now I TOTALLY want some peach pie! mmmmm

~~louise~~ said...

Boy am I glad I froze some local peaches this year, Marjie. (Thanks to Marion's encouragement of course:)

Peach Pie sounds mighty good right about now especially since, we've pretty much demolished those Pecan Sandies, lol...

Thanks for sharing...

Big Dude said...

It's hard to beat a good peach pie.

Diane said...

That would not last 5 minutes in this house, delicious. Have a fantastic weekend Diane

grace said...

fresh, frozen, canned, pshaw--it's all delicious in pie form!