Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Misc. Summer Sewing

I made 2 sun dresses on Saturday.  It was sunny and 75, and made me feel like summer was still here.  So I drafted this dress based on a cami I made earlier this summer, or maybe it was last summer; I forget.

Sadly, I drew this too small for me.  So it will have to go to someone else, and I'll have to remake it next summer.  It ha6 6 godets, and is really cute; the front drapes a little, as is "stylish" this summer.

After I finished this, and discovered it's too snug, I started again, with a pink stripe.  But it was getting late, and I didn't want to fool around with 6 godets, so I just made 2 larger ones, and set one in each side seam.
  It doesn't fluff as much as the blue one, so I'm not as pleased with it as I could have been.  But my dearly beloved opined that it's cute, so it'll join the rotation for next summer.  Both of these started with horizontal stripes, so I cut them on the bias.  Overall, I'm pleased with these efforts, and put my newly-drafted pattern pieces carefully in an envelope to be used next summer.

Earlier this summer, I made a couple of tops from plum fabric for Faye's sewing challenge.  There was enough of that plum cotton, which was really soft and wonderful, left over for an a-line dress.  Here it is, made from McCall's M7443.  I've made this a number of times before, and it's comfortable and easy.  What more is there to say about a pattern?




Also earlier this summer, I finally put into motion an idea I saw in a catalog a good 10 or more years ago.  It's just the M7443 dress, but with 3 straps coming from each side, going to different points on the back.  My hair was a mess, it being 11PM when I took this picture, and I didn't move it enough to show the straps, but you get the idea.  This was a woven cotton, and it's the same exact shade of pale pink as 2 dresses and a tank top I made earlier this summer, with a jacket to match, so the jacket works with this dress, as well.
So, that's about it for summer sewing.  At some point, I'll feel inspired for fall sewing.  But I think next weekend is going to be dedicated to trying to put a few years' worth of photos in order in the new photo albums I just received from the guy in brown.  Of course, that means editing and printing and.....

10 comments:

Blond Duck said...

You should make Halloween costumes!

Lapdog Creations said...

Beautiful stuff... I esp love that shade of plum. SO pretty!

Faye Lewis said...

Look at you - two dresses in one day - amazing! Love that lattice work back.

~~louise~~ said...

Excuse my ignorance but what the heck is a godet?

I envy your sewing talents Marjie. Even if I could put my mind to learning, when would I ever get the time???

Plum is a GREAT color on you and I must agree with the hubby, it is cute:)

Thanks for sharing...

Pam said...

I wish I could sew as half as good as you!

gMarie said...

Lovely dresses. I didn't get a lick of sewing done this weekend. Very little this summer at all. I made one dress that needs altering and haven't had time. :\ g

Claire S. said...

No surprise there - they're ALL cute !

SissySees said...

Love all the colors. I'm ready for fall now. It's 90 today. Bah.

Dexter said...

Good luck with the photo albums. I love digital photography, but how often do you sit down and look through your digital library?

A photo album is still the best. Especially because you can look at it with somebody else.

Mango Momma

Unknown said...

Oh, I love dresses/skirts cut on the bias! Especially when you twirl around and it fans out! :-) When i was a little girl, I wanted ALL my dresses/skirts to be bias-cut so that I could do that all day long!

Hsin-Yi