Monday, April 5, 2010

Applesauce Raisin Bread

I needed to send the college kids back for their last month with something besides Easter candy to eat. Quick breads are always a big hit, and I had some applesauce in my fridge, just taking up space. This led to the flash of genius that we have applesauce cake, but not applesauce bread, and that just isn't right. I've fixed that for you.

APPLESAUCE RAISIN NUT BREAD

3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts


In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, soda, powder and cinnamon. Add the applesauce, oil, eggs and water, and beat to combine. Stir in the raisins and nuts; turn into two 8"x4" loaf pans, and bake at 350F for 55 to 60 minutes. Let them sit overnight for best flavor. Makes two loaves.

I made two batches, so I had bread for each of the two girls, one for Jeff, and one for his roommate (who came with Jeff for Easter after they'd been wandering around Virginia Beach for Spring Break week). At least I knew that had something decent to eat after all that Easter candy!

11 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

I so want to come visit! :)

SissySees said...

Okay. Must make it. The Knight loves applesauce cake...

The Blonde Duck said...

Did you just create those? I'm amazed.

Kapitein Haakje said...

yumm yumm

you aways makes lovely food

Kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

Pam said...

You are such a great mom! The bread sounds fantastic.

Tatersmama said...

What a good mom you are! But what about the kids left at home? Or any spares to mail to California?
I've ear-marked a heap of your recipes to share with the family once we get home, but having these arrive in the mail would give me more time for spending with my grandsons. ;-)
Just sayin'...

Ann Made Studio said...

Hum...just an idea..maybe you could sell some ;) they'd still
be good once they got here (I mean wherever :) wouldn't they??

They sound/look delicious!

Linda said...

I don't think any of my friends moms ever sent food home with them OR me! Sounds like it might be worth a try your bread.

grace said...

i love adding applesauce into muffins and breads, but i don't know if it's ever been the star. it should be! this is a great recips, marjie!

Paula said...

Lucky kids! First Virginia Beach and then homebaked goodies! Yum!

~~louise~~ said...

I have applesauce in the fridge just taking up space. I may just "throw" these together and send them on down to my son's store by the college. If he doesn't eat them, I know a bunch of kids that would LOVE to take them home.

Nice, easy recipe, Marjie. My favorite kind. Thanks for sharing...