Thursday, July 3, 2008

Roast Beef with Tomato Vinaigrette

Not so much a recipe as an idea, this was a dandy roast nonetheless. I had just a wee bit, perhaps 2 ounces, of Peter's Tomato Vinaigrette dressing. I also had an eye round roast, notoriously lean and often tough. What to do? Pour the dressing over the roast, let it sit for may hours, and roast as normal, at 310 degrees, covered for the first half of roasting, and uncovered for the latter half, until it reaches 140 on the thermometer for rare beef, with cut up redskinned potatoes in the pan (seasoned with oil, garlic salt, oregano & minced onion). After removing the potatoes from the pan, I scraped the tomato bits off the top of the beef, and into the pan drippings, and used the whole thing to make a lovely gravy. I don't want to say it was good, but there was barely a scrap for poor Thor out of a 5 pound roast and 4 pounds of potatoes. So I guess others said it was good for me.

For dessert, I served my French Apple Cobbler. I was thinking about this for Paula; why can't the topping crust be made with your gluten free flour for Little Miss? Trust me, with either ice cream or whipped cream, this one's going to fly off your dessert table, too. (I've also made it with canned apple pie filling, in a dead-of-winter emergency, when I just had to have a hot fruit dessert or else I'd just "die" of winter doldrums. It works.)

1 comment:

Paula said...

This is what I call "man pleasin' food". My hubby absolutely LOVES this type of a meal. He's a meat and potatoes guy.

Little Miss loves apples; I should figure out how to do this. The g/f flour needs to have Guar Gum (or something like that) added to it so it will perform like regular flour. As it is, she loves to dice apples, drizzle it with honey, cinnamon, and sugar, and zap it in the microwave! I actually prefer a cobbler to a pie, so this would be a hit for me, too!