Monday, July 7, 2008

Burger & Dog/Sausage Rolls

Poor Thor had a terrible weekend. People started lighting fireworks as early as Thursday night, which delights the kids, and terrorizes the animals. Thor spent Thursday night trying to figure out how to get under Dad's chair. He's the Alpha Dog in the house, he will protect small dogs, right?

Friday, I was futzing with the treadle machine - and I got it mostly figured out, although I still have tension issues to puzzle through - and so Thor took up hiding under the swing-open leaf of the machine, trying to stuff his head through the cast iron leg and onto the treadle with my feet. It was most funny, but not photographed because he glued himself to my leg when I stood to get my camera. Poor baby wouldn't go out to get a drink or relieve himself or anything.

Saturday was much quieter, but we went for a picnic at a private lake, where friends of the little guys are members. Now, it's not much of a stretch to imagine how much I adore picnics. There's nothing this girly girl loves more than sitting on a grubby wooden bench or chair and eating with all manner of flying insects. Oh, yes, other than NOT doing those things. So you have to picture my method of packing for a picnic. I gave in and allowed the kids to buy disposable plastic plates and cups, which I abhor, but made them get a tablecloth for my table. Those things got packed in a huge basket with my rolls, which were wrapped in a small bath towel. Yes, you should pack your baked goods with a towel. They will stay very fresh, and not get soggy, because the towel wicks away the condensate! Someone was running a grill, so I packed meat in a cooler, along with salad ingredients, and we carried a big, ugly tupperware bowl to make the salad in. Oh, yes, I also brought s few citronella candles to try to keep the nasty flying things away from my food. And, no, Thor didn't go, because they had fireworks at this private lake, and we didn't need him howling in fear. I left him home with the TV on for company. I don't know how much he likes PBS, but it's better than being home alone, and maybe things outside would be booming again!

Anyway...

HAMBURGER AND HOT DOG ROLLS

2 cups warm water

6 tsp yeast
4 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp salt
6 cups flour
6 tbsp powdered milk

Add the yeast to the water to soften. Add the flour, then all of the other ingredients. Mix with a kitchenaid mixer, or stir together with a wooden spoon, and knead for 5 to 8 minutes. Let the dough rise for about 15 minutes, then punch down and divide into 24 pieces. Flatten into burger rolls or hot dog (or sausage) buns and place on greased trays with cornmeal sprinkled on them. Let rise until doubled in size, about 15 to 20 minutes, then bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. These are positively the best burger or dog rolls ever!Adapted from Donna Rathmell German's Bread Machine cookbook. Sorry, but this one is too big to go into the bread machine.

And, yes, I did wear appropriate 4th of July colors to the picnic. White denim skirt, dark blue top with flutter sleeves, and maroon strappy sandals with 2" heels. I also had a small American Flag standing in my bread basket.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My guys got to listen to the Disney Channel while we were gone. We were gone overnight, but The Musical One came home and took care of the hounds. We still have booms going off in our neighborhood last night. I can't wait for them to end.

Paula said...

I'll take a couple dozen of those hot dog rolls, please! They look so good and I bet taste even better. I just purchased some fantastic weiswurst (did I spell that right? White German Sausage), and need a great bun to go with them. Cole likes those beef hot dogs from the deli, and they, too, require a great bun.

Ok, I admit it, I cracked a huge grin when I read about your picnic experience! I can just picture you swatting flies with one hand and graciously ladling out food with the other ... all the while in your heels. And I love wrapping things in towels. Just this past weekend, I was tempted to buy this lovely pale green and yellow tea towel/oversized napkin for future get togethers, but couldn't get myself to pay $9!! for it. I actually thought of you, and thought that Marjie could probably sew this in her sleep!

Hope the kids had fun at the picnic, and that Thor is good for another year before fireworks come round again!