Friday, January 25, 2013

White Cake with Boiled Frosting

This came from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I picked up at a used book sale a while back.  I felt like making a light cake, and, being low on confectioner's sugar, decided to try my hand at a boiled frosting.  After all, that's what the mixer's function in life is, right?

WHITE CAKE

4 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2-1/8 cups flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat the egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until stiff; set aside.  Beat together the shortening, sugar and salt; add the remaining ingredients and beat at low speed until combined, then at medium speed for 2 minutes.  Beat the egg whites in with the mixer at its lowest speed, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl.  Scoop the batter into 2 layer pans or a 13"x9" sheet pan (my choice)  Bake at 350F about 25 minutes for layers or 35 minutes for the sheet cake, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

See?  Despite all of the ingredients, it was pretty simple, right?

BOILED FROSTING

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp light corn syrup
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract

Stir together the sugar, water, salt and corn syrup in a small saucepan.  Heat to a boil, stirring occasionally, then put a candy thermometer in it and cook without stirring to 260F (hard ball stage).  When the sugar mix starts to boil, start beating the egg whites until they are very stiff.  When the sugar mix reaches the hard ball stage, drizzle it slowly into the egg whites while beating at low speed.  Add the vanilla, then beat at high speed for about 5 minutes, until peaks form.  (Actually, you could probably use strawberry extract for a different flavor to the frosting, in contrast to the white cake, if desired).

All in all, this is a relatively low calorie dessert, and pretty tasty, too!  And, since I can't find the picture I took of it, here's a look at my front yard!

12 comments:

kathy b said...

I'll take a piece of that cake, please and thank you

Jan Mader said...

Me too
1

SissySees said...

Pretty snow! We have some too, including the fresh layer falling now...

Diane said...

Well the picture certainly has some white frosting :-) Keep warm Diane

Big Dude said...

Looks a little raw out there.

Lapdog Creations said...

I still want to come to your house for dinner and dessert sometime... :)

Linda said...

What time is coffee....I made a peach pie I'll bring along ;)

Two French Bulldogs said...

White cake is the best
Benny & Lily

Sarah said...

I thought I was missing something when I couldn't find the picture! There wasn't one! That makes me feel so much more secure about my computer skills. When I saw your title with boiled icing I thought the same, great idea if you don't have confectioner's sugar.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'd leave the warmth of the kitchen for at least another month.

Blond Duck said...

I've never heard of boiled frosting. How curious!

Pam said...

I've never boiled frosting before. The cake sounds lovely!