Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thorsday Book Review

BEAR ISLAND
By Alistair MacLean

Bear Island is located at 74 degrees, 28 minutes North, 19 degrees, 13 minutes East. It's dark there most of the year. So why anyone would want to go there is beyond me. Yet, in this book, a movie cast, including actors and directors, is headed to Bear Island aboard a small ship, with the ship's crew and doctor aboard. Suddenly, people start dying, seemingly of natural causes, although the doctor is suspicious. After they reach Bear Island, more people die, one disappears, and the doctor and a crew member set off in search of the missing man.

So, what's going on here? Is the doctor really a doctor, or is he something else? Why have they gone to this dark, desolate place? And why are people being bumped off?

I looked on Google Earth, and Bear Island does turn up. Some lunatic actually went there and took photographs, and posted them online. It looks very much like the illustration on the front cover of the book, and fits with the descriptions of Bear Island in this book. I really have
no idea why anyone would want to go there, but someone must have for Mr. MacLean to have such good descriptions in this book. While this wasn't my favorite book, it wasn't bad. I'd say it's worth 3 stars out of 5.
So, now for the surprise: Somehow, I've ended up buying 2 copies of this book. So I'll send it to one of you! It's sort of a "Happy Spring" present. Leave me a comment telling me why you want this book (even if it's "Just Because"). Maybe I'll choose the best comment, or maybe I'll use a hat, or a random number generator, or maybe I'll just pretend I'm still 8 years old and say, "Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe!"

Happy Thorsday, everyone!

12 comments:

Linda said...

LOL I wonder if someone will see some photo I posted 50 years from now and think of me as "some lunatic"...probably wouldn't be that far off;)

The Blonde Duck said...

Sounds cool!

Tami said...

Hi! I bet I am the only one of your readers that has family living in the Lofoten Islands, off the coast of Norway. They are due south of Bear Island, north of the Arctic Circle. And I live in Washington State, how is that for spread out? I really enjoy your blog and wish I had double appliances like you do, but with only 5 children couldn't quite justify it. Your kitchen is lovely. Tami

monica said...

HA!! I too have relatives in the Lofoten Island... but then again, I am Norwegian, living in Denmark, born in Bodoe, not far from Lofoten.. So growing up with not so much sunlight most of the year, allthough enjoying the midnight sun in the summer...
Those surroundings give you plenty of time to read books,used to read Allistar McLean in my younger days..

The Blonde Duck said...

Have a good weekend!

SissySees said...

Sounds interesting! You haven't steered me wrong yet on a book; that's why I'd like the 2nd copy!

gMarie said...

Love the comments! You've inspired me to blog, I've been reading tons, but where's the sewing? g

Pam said...

I think the book sounds intriguing. Enjoy your weekend Marjie.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Marjie, the books sounds good and I think I will have to go secondhand book shopping. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

Anonymous said...

I won't throw my hat into the ring because I have some 5 stars to get to. But your story and google map of Bear Island thoroughly intrigued me. As did Tami's comment about Lofoten Islands...

Mary said...

The book sounds interesting and I love that Tami actually knew where it was!

Tami said...

Monica, you are much closer to Bear Island than I am! While Bear Island looks pretty austere, where I live in Washington is similar to Norway, that is why it was settled by many Norske. Den beste ønskene !