Monday, March 19, 2012

Berry Cobler

Last week, I decided to make a low sugar berry cobbler. There was no special reason other than I wanted it. I'd have to say it was a great idea.

BERRY COBBLER

About 6 cups frozen (or fresh) blackberry, raspberry and blueberry mix
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp softened margarine or butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 c. egg beaters (or one egg)
milk - 1/4 cup or less

Spread the berries in an 8"x8" or 7"x11" baking dish; stir in the cornstarch, 1/2 c. sugar and water. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, margarine, salt, sugar and egg beater. Stir to combine, then add milk to make the batter fluid. Spoon the batter over the berry mixture, then bake at 350F for about 40 minutes, until the crust is nicely browned and the berry mixture is bubbling. Let it cool for a while before serving, then serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

This cobbler went so fast that I got no pictures. Not a one. So I'm guessing the guys really enjoyed it.

So, instead of a picture of the cobbler, how about a picture of the apron I made for the relative in Denver?
My second daughter selected the fabric, because she thought it was funny, after the recipient requested an apron. That was back at Thanksgiving. So I'm thinking I was overdue to get this one done. I hope she enjoys it.

13 comments:

Sue said...

Yum, that sounds so good! Is the house next door to you for sale? I'd like to move in and visit on baking days.

Very cute apron!

Diane said...

Bet the cobbler tastes good and that apron looks fantastic. Diane

Linda said...

Cobbler is a favourite around here. Great apron....I should go through my stash and make myself a couple.

SissySees said...

Sissy wants to know what I might substitute for the cornstarch, because she doesn't intend to just watch us eat...

Love that apron!

pam said...

That apron is so cute! Only a couple of more months and it will be summer and I'll have time to sew again!

Faye Lewis said...

The berry cobbler is right down my alley, and you know I love the apron!

Pam said...

The cobbler sounds wonderful... I love berries!!!

Love the apron and the fabric - so cute!

Mickle in NZ said...

A berry cobbler is good anytime!

(SissySees - try arrowroot powder)

gMarie said...

The apron is adorable. I hope the Denver Relative enjoys it.

And berry cobbler. Hmmm - might be time to do some baking. I made banana bread last weekend. g

Anonymous said...

It is funny! She's just got to smile every time she puts it on.

Lapdog Creations said...

YUMMY! And cute apron!

The Blonde Duck said...

Are those chili peppers?

I want cobbler!

grace said...

meh, cobblers are ugly anyway, but SO tasty. i like the apron--the fabric is perfect for it!