Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Garden Tuesday: Halloween Edition

Just down the street from our little library, we happened upon this flower bed. Of course, you could tell it's not in my yard, because I don't plant fresh, seasonal flowers throughout the year. I'm lazy that way.

Right in the middle of my own little town, this is the Town Center building. It was built by a prominent local family, and deeded to the town (said family also built the school and deeded that to the town) in the 1920s. Isn't this marble entry door simply wonderful?

And this house is the oldest one in town. It was the first house built which wasn't a log cabin (all of which are long gone), and was built by a doctor in 1826. It was sold a year or 2 ago to a young family who evidently is very excited about the holidays. This is the second Halloween they've decorated; last year, it was just the crows. Ryan reports that he's seen plenty of cars simply stop in the middle of the street to take pictures of the yard, and it was featured in our paper today.

I love that these people are so enthusiastic about their beautiful home. They also gave me a great Halloween edition for Garden Tuesday, because you're all doubtless bored with my yard.

11 comments:

Big Dude said...

You may choose not to plant bedding flowers, but when you run a business, raise 9 kids including homeschooling, make your own clothes and be a homemaker - no way are you lazy. Now me, I'm lazy.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Cool building. Mom likes seeing architecture. Whatever that is
Benny & Lily

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Marjie, great photos. Where we live people decorate their homes with coloured lighting at Christmas but Halloween isn't celebrated really in our town. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

Mary said...

Oh my goodness! That is an incredibly yard full of decorations. My boys would LOVE that!

Linda said...

Nobody goes all out like that for Halloween here either. You've got some wonderful old building down your way!

Pam said...

Those clowns creep me out! The doorway of that building is great!

Mickle in NZ said...

I'll never get tired of seeing your wonderful garden - you have so many beautiful trees and great spaces. And I agree with Larry - you achieve so much every day.

Sending care and huggles, Michelle and a sleeping Zebby Cat (on what is now His bed that I am graciously allowed to share overnight - Zeb occupies it most of the time, bless the old boy)

Dexter said...

Clowns are always scary. That house freaks me out!

Mango Momma

pam said...

I am never bored with your yard! And I don't plant flowers for the season either. I tried mums for awhile, and when they came back they were lovely, but when they died, I didn't replace them.

The Blonde Duck said...

People usually go nuts here, but it's pretty quiet with the economy.

SissySees said...

I love seeing historical buildings too. And no, you are NOT lazy!!