Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blueberry Compote

I decided last weekend that I wanted something to perk up breakfast and involved blueberries. So I just did what anyone would do: pull a pound of blueberries out of the freezer, and wing it. This was very popular, so I had to figure out a fast way to do it too. You, my invisible friends, are the lucky recipients of my desire to have blueberry something!

BLUEBERRY COMPOTE
Version 1

1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup water
3 tbsp Creme de Cassis (optional)
1 pound (approx 3 cups) frozen blueberries

In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch until they are well blended. Add the water and Creme de Cassis, and cook until the solids dissolve and the mixture is hot. With a wooden spoon, stir in the blueberries, and cook until it simmers and thickens, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Makes about 1 quart.
Version 2: For when you only need a bit, and just can't wait.

3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 tbsp Creme de Cassis (optional)

Put the blueberries in a 2 cup microwavable measuring cup. Sprinkle in the sugar and cornstarch, and stir well to coat the berries. Cook in the microwave at high power for 1 minute, remove, stir well, stir in the Creme de Cassis (if used), and return to the microwave to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens, stirring every minute or so. Perfect for when someone wants warm compote over ice cream for dessert. (Can you tell I spoil my someone?)

This was great served over ice cream, and over pound cake. I don't know how long it will keep, because it only lasted 2 days. Oh, well. At least they loved it.

6 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh mom loves those blueberries
Benny & Lily

SissySees said...

MJ would love that too. Her son isn't a fan of blueberries...

Linda said...

I'd use a recipe like this as a basis for a pie filling;))

Pam said...

I bet it would be terrific over pancakes too. YUM!

pam said...

Compotes are wonderful to have around. But you're right, they don't last long!

Mary said...

This looks great, Marjie! I'd never heard of creme de cassis before. We love blueberry syrup, but I bet this would be even better over pancakes!