Friday, April 1, 2011

A Nice Lunch

So everyone knows, Thor is happy to report that we only got about 1/2" of snow last night. Ryan is sad to report that since the snow didn't stick to the roadways, he did not get a 2 hour delay for school. I just hope spring arrives soon.

With the number of people home in flux a lot these days, I sometimes find myself with a little meat left over after dinner. Of course, into the refrigerator it goes. Recently, I dreamed up a way to use it that's fairly easy and wonderful.

FRENCH BREAD PACKETS

6 tbsp very warm water
2 tsp yeast (1 packet, if you use those)
1 cup flour
1 tsp gluten powder (optional)

1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt

1 tsp olive oil

Pour the water into your mixing bowl or bread machine bucket. Sprinkle the yeast over it. Add the remaining ingredients in the order given. Mix according to my bread tutorial directions (see right). Note that you may need to add up to 1/4 cup more flour to get the dough to a workable consistency.

Sprinkle flour on your counter, divide your dough in half and squish it flat with your
hand. Roll each piece out into an oval. Over one half of each oval, spread ingredients to your liking; here's what I used, in order: cheese, shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, tomato, chopped chives, cheese. Fold the free half of the oval over the fillings, wet your finger and run it over the bottom edge of the dough. Fold upward and crimp the bottom edges to seal. Move the packets to a baking sheet and turn on the oven to 375F to preheat. When it's heated, put your baking tray in the oven for 16 to 18 minutes. Serves 2 for lunch.

Nichole, I expect you to try this out. You need to put that Kitchenaid mixer of yours to good use!

Finally, I recently won a $50 gift certificate to CSN Stores from Sarah at All Our Fingers In The Pie! Since my counters are pretty heavily covered in appliances, I decided to treat myself to a couple of things I wanted but wouldn't have bought for myself....a digital kitchen scale and an OXO Triple Timer! Aren't they splendid? I love shiny, new things.
The scale measures in tenths of an ounce up to 11 pounds, plus grams/kilos and even liquid ounces. Who knew that a heap of chopped parsley weighs 2.2 ounces? Everyone does, now.

So, Thank you very much, Sarah. Everyone enjoyed playing with my new toys last night, especially me!

8 comments:

SissySees said...

The Knight would be all over that, if you'd leave the green stuff out of it!

Pam said...

I love the french bread packets - yum! Love your new scale and timer.

Lapdog Creations said...

Great prizes - love CSN! :) I need to put the ramekins to use that I got from them... and someday I'll get that beast, er I mean mixer out!

Linda said...

I use to make something similar and used a chinese dumpling filling....thanks for reminding me.

Big Dude said...

I just love stuff baked into bread and your's looks very good. I need a new scale as mine only goes to 5# and I always have BBQ orders that weigh more.

Sarah said...

That is so exciting! I have a kitchen scale and absolutely don't know how I lived without it. What a great way to spend the money.

Mickle in NZ said...

Super yummo filled rolls, you can eat then still hot which is just what you need while that drated snow keeps coming.

And wow to your new scales (knitters like me and dear Gaylen would love the mini ounce measurements it gives). Lovely Sarah up in SK,CA. is a cook and blogger that I really enjoy visiting - and I found her blog thanks to you, dear Marjie.

Sue said...

I used my kitchen scale to weigh the puppies when they were born and for the first couple weeks. I like yours better. It's easier to read.