Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Carrot Cookies

If we had to leave treats for the Easter Bunny like we do for Santa, these cookies would be just the ticket.

I found this recipe in my 1930s Encyclopedia of Cookery when I was looking up "yellow carrots" which appeared in a frozen veggie blend I'd bought (and, no, I found no listing for "yellow carrots"). It looked interesting, and I thought the boys might like them for lunches. So, I've made them twice. The original recipe had nowhere near enough sugar, so they came out tasting like flat bran muffins, but the second attempt was perfect! Best of all, no one even recognized that these are even good for you!

CARROT COOKIES

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 cups quick oats
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups grated carrot
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk


Cream the shortening with the eggs. Stir together the dry ingredients, and beat them into the creamed mixture. Add the milk to moisten the mixture, then stir in the carrot and nuts. Drop by spoonsful onto greased baking sheets. Bake 15 to 18 minutes in a preheated 350F oven, until browned.
(Please don't laugh at my baking sheets. They've been with me for 32 years, and I won't toss such loyal items.) These would keep well for more than a day if you have fewer cookie monsters in your house than I have!

Tomorrow, Thor will give you his view of Easter! Today, he's just snoring through another rainy day.

10 comments:

Diane said...

Perfect for the Easter Bunny LOL. They look really good. Diane

Sue said...

My cookie sheets looked just like yours till a couple years ago Rob replaced them all.

I thought those were oatmeal raisin cookies when I first looked. Funny, I like raisin toast and oatmeal raisin cookies, but other than that I hate raisins. No explanation. Part of being a grown up is you get to have food likes and dislikes and don't need an excuse. Right?

Pam said...

The cookies sound fabulous - why haven't I ever thought of that.

Linda said...

With carrots.......they HAVE to be healthy too;)

Lapdog Creations said...

Interesting... I love carrot cake, so why not carrot cookies?

Unknown said...

I wouldnt mind having these in my lunches.

The Blonde Duck said...

These are awesome!

SissySees said...

I'll have to make those for the Knight, but he'll add cream cheese frosting...

Anette said...

My parents in law are coming in a week, from England, the land of tea and biscuits/cookies.. These might be a good idea!

grace said...

all those need is a good shmear of cream cheese frosting to make 'em perfect in my book. :)