Saturday, July 25, 2009

With All Those Colors, She Uses....

....first, white. On the treadle machine.

My daughter happened upon some cow fabric we'd used to make a gift of throw pillows for their 4H sewing club leader (who loved cows and lived on a dairy farm), and told me to make something really fun from this fabric. From a drawer of "stuff", I dug out four 20 year old potholders (still made in USA at that time) and one cooking mitt (replaced a decad
e ago by Pampered Chef mitts, which are long, luxurious and worth every penny of their very high price). I quilted cow fabric front and back on the pot holders, took apart the mitt, quilted cow fabric front and plain white fabric back (inside) of each half and was set to go. Adding varied colors of binding made the set match, but it was declared "fun" by Kellie.
A matching apron, here obligingly modeled by her brother (who can never resist clowning around) was the end of white thread for last weekend.

Then, for another great, exciting color, I chose.....

Beige!

OK, to be fair, when my dearly beloved saw the fabric I was using, his comment was, "That will never be mistaken for quiet and refined." I told him I just won't wear it to a White House cocktail party (to which I will never be invited anyway).

But it made a great dress!

I'm working on a skirt from the same fabric this weekend. I'm thinking maybe green is the next order of business after I'm done with the loud fabric. I just like to use the same color thread for several items in a row - why waste threading effort, especially for the serger, which uses 4 spools of thread, after all? Peculiar, I know; sorry!

Desserts are coming your way next week, including at least two from the Chocolate Dessert cookbook! Hope you'll come visit, and have a wonderful weekend!

14 comments:

Tatersmama said...

I LOVE the pot holders and oven mitt! I'm a bit cow-mad myself, and I would love to make something like this for myself!

And the dress? I love it, but OMG woman, there is no WAY that you're the mother of grown children! I haven't had legs like that since I was in my 20's - pre-kids!

Not fair. Sulking now.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Tatersmama on the grown children!! I love the cow fabric, when I read it the pictures hadn't loaded and I thought they'd be b & w and I thought ewww but this is nice. I like the loud dress too!

Claire S. said...

And that's why you need to fill the rest of those empty spindles with white & black :-)

LOVE both prints!

Not much accomplished, myself. Still working on my blouse & socks.

Hope you're having a great weekend.

SissySees said...

Some of us have never had legs like that. If you've got 'em, flaunt 'em!

Love the kitchen items too. The Pampered Chef silicone trivet is the only pot holder the boys at the firehouse can't kill too quickly, so another cranberry one sits on my counter, waiting for the Knight to remember to take it to the station.

buffalodick said...

Turned my head with that photo of you!

Unknown said...

Great way to repurpose the kitchen items and isn't your son handsome! Which one is this? I don't think I've seen him before.

That dress is fabulous and I would kill to have your body - but not enough to quit eating and start working out :) You look great and I'm envious in a good way :) g

Anonymous said...

That dress is so cute and i love the mitt and pot holder. I hope you have had a great weekend ♥

Miriam in KS said...

Aw Marji, I prefer to call it working smart! It's like planning a trip to town. Make one trip, not dozens!

Cute cow items and I like the dress. It looks like it is great to wear.

noble pig said...

You look fabulous woman! You are so talented and creative and well I'm just jealous!

Pam said...

Cute pot holders and apron. What a really cute dress too!

The Blonde Duck said...

You look so hot in that dress!

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Wowzer Marjie you look fab and if you do ever get an invite to the White House don't forget to invite me! Kitty xxx

Sue said...

I'm watching for the chocolate recipes.

tavolini said...

hubba hubba!! Love the dress and the oven mitts--you are so talented its ridiculous :)