Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Turkey Cordon Bleu

On Sunday, I was looking for something "interesting" to do with my weekly turkey breast. While flipping through a myriad of cookbooks, and finding little satisfaction, I hit upon Veal Cordon Bleu. Inspiration hit: if there is Veal Cordon Bleu, and Chicken Cordon Bleu, why not Turkey Cordon Bleu? OK, my thought process may be a little twisted, but at least there's a thought process going on, or so I tell myself.

Before I go too far, this is the meat slicer my darling husband bought me (by which I mean he hung over my shoulder and made me order it from JC Penney.com, being the computer illiterate he so proudly is). I've used this for slicing boneless roasts for years. I think he got tired of doing my carving, since my weak hands don't handle large cutlery well, so he got me an easy replacement. I've been using it for cutting raw meat into slices for some of these new recipes, and it works like a charm. All this for about $100; how can you gripe?

Anyway, here's what I did and a lovely photo of the results:
TURKEY CORDON BLEU

1 Boneless Turkey Breast, sliced about 3/16" thick
ham, sliced paper thin
swiss cheese, sliced paper thin
scallions
garlic powder
2 to 3 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tsp water
flour
2 to 3 tbsp olive oil

Pour olive oil in the bottom half of the broiler pan. Dip half the slices of turkey in the egg, then one side only in the flour. Place flour side down in the pan. Top with cheese, ham, scallions, garlic powder, and cheese. Dip the remaining half of the slices in the egg, then coat one side with flour and place flour side up on the turkey/ham/cheese combos. Broil 4 minutes, turn over, and broil another 4 minutes on the other side. Remove to a platter and keep warm while making the sauce:

1 cup cream
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup water whisked with 1/4 cup flour
scallions
mushrooms
pepper
dash salt

Heat the Broiler pan on the stove top, stirring to loosen the brown particles. Stir in the cream, then whisk in the water/flour combo. When it starts to thicken, add the wine, then scallions and mushrooms. Heat about a minute; grind in fresh pepper, and add salt if desired.

Note: Don't add any salt to the meat! All the ham and cheese contains enough salt to give it great flavor.

1 comment:

test it comm said...

This looks really tasty. I like the mushroom sauce on the cordon bleu.