Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Graduation and Birthday!

So, life carries on.  And on the 12th, Ryan graduated from college.  I am proud of him, and hope he'll continue his education, and set the world on fire; I'm sure that's what we all want for our children.  All but one of his siblings made it home for the event; for me it was bittersweet, because it's the first of a lifetime's of events which will in my mind be incomplete, lacking my dearly beloved.


The following weekend was Ryan's birthday.  Of course, cake was involved.  Despite the appearances of this picture, Thatcher was not involved with the cake.  He was merely hopeful.

I've been working on the PBS Great American Read book list; I've read The Alchemist (very good, fast read), Gone Girl (saw the movie, but the book was still great, even knowing the ending), Their Eyes Were Watching God (this was actually a great book, and I'd recommend it), The Handmaid's Tale (another very good book), and Pilgrim's Progress (I only slogged through 1/4 of this book; it was just too tedious.  I pity Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy for having gotten this book for Christmas; couldn't their Marmee have thought at least of giving them variety, so they'd have more exciting things to read?).  I've started Memoirs of a Geisha today.  I don't sleep much, so I do have to do something...

Happy Wednesday, everyone; I hope your spring is progressing well.

6 comments:

Pam said...

I LOVE that photo of you Ryan... I can't believe he graduated from college. It seems you were homeschooling him a minute ago. I am sure it was very bittersweet. Your beloved may not have been there in person but I am certain he was there with you.

I love that you are doing so much reading. I found Memoirs of a Geisha a pretty fascinating book.

I love seeing your boys there with you!

Heather said...

Ryan looks like his Father - bitter sweet day I am sure, you are an amazing woman Marjie I hope you enjoy your read through the top 100 books. I do agree re Pilgrims Progress, and I feel much the same about Moby Dick, dull as! Lovely to see you with your sons, and Thatcher.

Sue said...

Wow, wasn't Ryan a little boy just yesterday? I guess I've been watching your kuds grow up for awhile. Give him our best birthday wishes.

Have you read A Suitable Boy? It's my favorite book but eat your Wheaties, it weighs a ton. When I read it I had a broken wrist so Rob had to carry it downstairs for me each morning and back upstairs each night.

Big Dude said...

Congrats on getting another child through college. You have done so well at getting your large family ready to be contributors to society.

grace said...

the height difference! i can't get past it! that's awesome, marjie, congrats to him and to you!
that's a serious book list! i've been on a silly chic lit binge lately and could use something to break it up. :)

pam said...

Love seeing you and Ryan! That height difference!