Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Cookbook Wednesday: School Cookbooks

A couple of weeks ago, Chan wrote about a cookbook her aunt had, which was one made in school by someone.  That, plus Christmas, caused similar cookbooks to come to mind.

In first grade, Ryan's class made cookbooks for their mothers for Christmas.  Each child decorated the cookbook for his or her own mother.

 Of course, the mothers had to be involved in helping their own children make up their cookbook pages.  This little girl, one of a set of triplets, wrote her own page:

Ryan had me type his on my IBM Selectric.  I always did love the script type ball.

They did it again in third grade, this time with both third grades involved.

The children typed their own pages during computer class, and printed them on sheets decorated with what look to me like Tommie de Paola illustrations.



(I should know the name of the book from which these came.  I just can't remember it.)

I'm certain that many of the kids had help selecting their recipes from their mothers.  Ryan's was from his Calvert School lessons (in 3rd grade, we used Calvert along with him going to school; things were very easy back then).  I ought to make this bread for him this week, before he goes back to college, because he did enjoy it.

So, this is my entry for Cookbook Wednesday with Louise at Months of Edible Celebrations!  Happy Wednesday, everyone!


8 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Cookbook Wednesday Marjie!

Oh my, I do love these cookbooks. I don't recall my kids ever making their own cookbooks in school. What a wonderful momentum for both you and Ryan especially since he will not be compiling any from school now, lol...Although, I think I do have a Starving Students cookbook from Penn State, lol...

I LOVED my IBM! I wish I still had it!!!

Thank you so much for participating in Cookbook Wednesday Marjie. I'll think this post up for you since I did manage to post today. Ill be picking up Marion in about 1/2 hour. Yippee! She's coming home!!!

Thanks again, Marjie...Now bake that Monkey Bread for Ryan:)

Catherine said...

I do remember these cookbooks and some excellent recipes in these books.
I remember my son coming home and saying he signed me up for a recipe in almost every category!!!
Bless his heart! xoxo Catherine

pam said...

What fun cookbooks to have! I had mine from elementary school for a long time....hmm...I wonder if I still have it?

Nellie said...

I don't think our girls ever did cookbooks in school. You've a very special keepsake. Great post!

Pam said...

Cutest cookbook ever!

My daughter did one similar in kindergarten and she made up a recipe for beef stew. I think it had 10 lbs of beef in it. :)

Lapdog Creations said...

Those are just wonderful!

SissySees said...

Oh, that's awesome! I missed Cookbook Wednesday again this week. In fact, I think I missed most everything this week.

Sue said...

What a nice project. It's a gift a Mom can really use and treasure.