Monday, July 30, 2012

Healthy Lemon Chess Pie

My dearly beloved is a huge fan of pies.  Cookies are good, cake is OK, ice cream is decent, but he loves a good pie.

I don't know what got into me last night, but I decided to work on my pie-phobia once again, and make a low cholesterol version of a pie I've made before.  And so, with great flavor intact, I'm pleased to bring you....

LOW-C* LEMON CHESS PIE

(*because, really, who wants to think of cholesterol and pie in the same breath?)

1 cup egg beaters
4 tbsp margarine, melted and cooled
1/4 cup lowfat milk
2 cups sugar
3tbsp flour
2 tbsp cornmeal
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract
9" unbaked pie crust


Beat together the egg beaters, margarine and milk until combined.  Beat in the sugar, flour and cornmeal, then add the lemon juice.  Pour into an unbaked pie crust and bake at 375F fir 45 minutes, until the center is set.

I used a 10" pie plate, so mine is a little lower than it would be if I used a 9" pie plate.  No big deal, at least it didn't flow over the top and onto the bottom of the oven, causing stinkage extraordinaire.

The boys all had their pie with whipped cream, but I like mine plain.  It's up to you how to enjoy it!

And actually, this sudden burst of pie making is all attributable to the Wall Street Journal.  They had an article about pie in this weekend's edition, which made the point that pies were reinvented in America to become the sweet treats we enjoy today, because in Europe, fruits and berries were available to only the wealthy, whereas here, everyone could get fruits and berries everywhere.  Interesting, right?  Anyway, they mentioned two books about pies, and, at the urging of my dearly beloved, they are winging their way to my little corner of the world even as we speak.  I'll let you know more about them soon!

Happy Monday, everyone!

14 comments:

Sue said...

I really like pie, too. Can't wait to read your reviews.
Sue

Diane said...

That sounds very interesting, will give it a try. Thanks Have a good week Diane

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Monday, Marjie...Hope all has calmed down in your neck of the woods. We had a few doozies around here. I can certainly understand wanting to power up with some comforting goodness of Lemon Chess Pie.

Can't wait to hear about the new books!

Thanks for sharing...

SissySees said...

My father loved pies. I suppose I like them more than cake as well... but I prefer the not-fruit pies... pecan, coconut, pumpkin...

Unknown said...

That looks fabulous, and I would promptly eat the whole thing were it in front of me.

Mary said...

This sounds delicious. I made a lemon chess pie last year and it was heavenly. Thanks for the reminder!

pam said...

I love chess pies and a healthy version sounds fantastic!

Anonymous said...

You tend to generally use egg beaters in lieu of eggs for most dishes, right? Do you notice the difference, or compensate for a difference in any way?

Linda said...

Now I just might have to try this. Company coming on Wednesday.

Mickle in NZ said...

That pie looks so good - I'd have mine dolloped with with plain, unsweetened natural yoghurt.

Deana Sidney said...

What a great idea to do a lo-cal chess pie... haven't had one in years. You must let us know how the pie books are.

PS Thanks for the sweet comment on Petunia and the cool collar. ONly another month to go and she will be cool again. Poor lamb, I've never had a dog who's so bad with the heat.

Big Dude said...

This looks like a very good dessert Marjie, especially with that little whipped cream dollop.

Pam said...

I am with your dearly beloved... I love pie too! I think it looks and sounds fantastic Marjie!

grace said...

if i'm forced to make a pie, chess pie is one of my go-tos. i've never tried lemon chess pie, but as long as meringue is not involved in any way, i'm game. :)