Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thordsay Book Review

In memory of everyone's favorite quiet time buddy, I think book reviews are appropriate for Thorsday.

Where Eagles Dare
by Alistair MacLean
c. 1967; 312 pages

Winter of 1944, during a blizzard, and Major Smith is leading a team of 8 commandos to parachute into Germany and rescue Lieutenant General Carnaby. Unknown to all except Major Smith, a woman is along for the mission, hidden among equipment they're taking along. The team makes its way into a picturesque hamlet in Germany, meeting a pretty double agent who is to assist them in getting into the Schloss Adler, perched atop a cliff, to rescue Carnaby. Along the way, Smith must figure out who among his group is a traitor. While there were certainly implausible parts in this book, you can easily overlook them. There was plenty of action in this book, and I thought it would make a great movie. Well, when I looked on Amazon to see if it's still available for you (the book is being reissued in May of this year), it turns out that it was a movie, with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton in it. I guess someone else shared my opinion of this book 40 years ago.

9 comments:

Big Dude said...

I didn't read the book, but I've seen the movie about 5 times - it's a great one - for me at least.

Big Dude said...

Thanks for eliminating the word verification

Pam said...

I think Thor would like you doing book reviews on Thorsday. This book sounds exciting and good.

SissySees said...

I was reading your review thinking, "That sounds familiar."

Oh yeah. Daddy liked that movie...

Book review Thorsday would require me to finish books more regularly. Hmmm... I'll have to think about that.

pam said...

I think Book Review Thorsday is a great idea!!

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence. I was just thinking that apple bars are all well and good, but I could do with a book review from out east.

Hi Thor.

The Blonde Duck said...

I miss Thor.

Dexter said...

Oh Thor, nice to see you again. Thanks for the book review. Sounds like something momma would enjoy.

Slobbers,
Mango

Sue said...

I just found a used book at the library shop and thought of you when I bought it. It's 'Four Great Cornish Novels' by Daphne Du Maurier. I bought it specifically for Rebecca which I haven't read in years, but it also has
Jamaica Inn, Frenchman's Creek and My Cousin Rachel.

I'm hoping for a snowy weekend to curl up with a warm blanket and a pot of tea and indulge.