Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Eve Recap

Many years ago, I began taking each child on a shopping trip for presents for the siblings. They had a budget and had to figure out how to buy 6 appropriate presents for a given amount. Then they exchanged presents with each other on Christmas Eve, after our special dinner.

So, Christmas Eve dinner remains Shrimp Scampi with angel hair pasta and a spinach salad.

And then everyone hauls their presents down from their rooms and sets them up in the family room. Jeff was last to arrive, and wanted to know why we had a brown paper wrapped body near the tree. 2 sisters and 2 brothers had teamed up to buy this for Jeff, and don't you think Dan did a brilliant wrapping job?

But, the present looked short next to Jeff, so Shannon came to demonstrate how life sized he is!

After a couple of hours of opening presents, talking and laughing, everyone went to bed. Everyone, that is, except my elves. (I'm pretty sure I have the biggest elves around).
Santa filled the stockings; some wouldn't balance on the hangers properly (we can't drive nails into a marble mantle, of course).

And then I set out the Christmas morning feast: 2 pans of brownies, 2 loaves each cranberry, banana and lemon poppyseed bread, a 2-color cake and a chocolate cake. Not on display: peanut butter pie and the Christmas punch. Everyone loves Christmas morning breakfast!
Next up: Christmas. It has been a happy week.

11 comments:

pam said...

What lovely traditions!!! AND that is my kind of Christmas breakfast!

Sue said...

I want to come to your house for Christmas next year. Shrimp scampi is one of my favorites and that breakfast is right up my alley. Yum. You don't even have to buy me a present, just let me eat.

I love your tree. It looks so festive with all the colors. One color trees are pretty, but a multi colored tree reminds me of the ones when I was little.
Sue

Joolz said...

Looks like fun times at your house. We don't do a breakfast tradition, unless you count my girls eating chocolate coins that are in their stockings!

Cheers - Joolz

Big Dude said...

Looks like you guys had a big time.

Faye Lewis said...

I can see myself now coming out of a sugar coma cause I would have heavily indulged. My sisters already called dibs on the extra scarves so they won't make it to next Christmas now. I can't believe that you are old enough to have a daughter opening a law office. I know you are so very proud.

SissySees said...

Love it!! The Knight would be in food heaven. Me... I need something really simple and high protein for breakfast... then pass the brownies!

The Blonde Duck said...

Peanut butter pie! Le sigh!

gMarie said...

It does look like good fun! Your breakfast looks like sugar overload! But yummy. g

Claire S. said...

Your kids are going to remember some great Christmas traditions ! Trying to shop (on budget) for 7 or 8 siblings, though, is TOUGH. Looks like you all had a wonderful time - have you recovered from the suger rush yet ?

Lapdog Creations said...

Wonderful family traditions... I want to be lucky enough to spend a holiday at your house someday!

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi Marjie, what a great tradition. Love the knight too. How tall is your son. Our baby who is 15 is 6ft 4in and we think still growing! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)