Friday, July 1, 2011

Miscellany for the Holiday Weekend

Our neighbors to the north are celebrating Canada Day today. I wish them all a happy holiday weekend!

Monday is our Independence Day holiday. We're just kicking back and taking it easy. Our oldest daughter is home until Tuesday, because her bar review course doesn't resume in Philly until Wednesday. Of course, Thor's encouraging us all to follow his fine example and do plenty of napping.

(It isn't that easy to draw stars with colored sugar. So you'll have to put up with a spotty blue field on my cake flag to start the holiday weekend.)

I've spent the last several weekends brutally cleaning out my closets and dresser drawers, reorganizing everything, giving each of my girls a huge armload of almost new
clothes from when I weighed 15 to 20 pounds less (and was much younger, of course). Lawyer daughter was particularly thrilled to score 3 suits and 2 blazers. As for me, I was particularly thrilled to be able to rearrange everything and now find it. Sewing may recommence this weekend. And a trip to Joann's for the great 99 cent McCalls pattern sale may well be in order.

Other than that, I might venture into the sunshine for about 4 minutes (gotta avoid the sunburn!). Maybe I'll get around to a book review tomorrow or Sunday. And I might just take Thor's suggestion for a nice nap.

Happy Independence Day weekend to my American friends. Happy weekending to all the rest of you!

14 comments:

Sue said...

Don't you love 99 cent pattern sales? It makes me feel free to buy patterns that I like but might not actually get around to making.

Have a wonderful weekend.

pam said...

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! My Joann's email gets sent to my work address, I guess I'll have to log in and see what else is on sale!

rottrover said...

Take some advise from Thor, and relax a little!

-Gizmo, Bart and Ruby

Two French Bulldogs said...

you are talented!
Benny & Lily

gemma said...

Cleaning out closets always makes me feel like I lost 20 pounds or so..you probably would still fit in those clothes. Glad your headache is gone. If I were there I would ask Thor to shove over and make room for me. Naps sound pretty good on a hot summer day. Happy Fourth to all.

~~louise~~ said...

Kick back and enjoy, Marjie. Thor has the right idea!!!

I'll be cleaning out closets when I get back from New York on Monday. (yes, I will be in that traffic en-route to a funeral)

Happy Independence Day!!!

SissySees said...

Festive cake!

Naps are going on here, or were. A barking dog in the distance has caused the girls to stir, which is good... It seemed wrong to wake them up to walk them, but time is short as that big fire ball in the sky is heating us up in a hurry!

Mickle in NZ said...

The cake looks wonderful. And well done for being brave enough to admit "I wont wear that again". I'm especially delighted that Shannon has done so well from your closet sort out as I know she will need the more formal clothing as she sets out on her career.

Oh, to fit my mother's cast offs - my dear Mum is 5 1/2 inches taller than me, with long, slim arms and legs to match. I inherited her smile and the long neck, but none of the overall height and length of limb!

Zebby agrees with Thor on the napping - just as long as there is decent and fully available "food for my necessary tummy top-ups" too.


I hope dear Marjie, Thor and all the gang have a wonderful holiday weekend, sending huggles from Michelle and Zebby ( in between his snores, bless him)

Anonymous said...

Thor is just full of good ideas, isn't he?

Happy long 4th weekend and that's one super duper cake.

Gloria Baker said...

Have a nice and lovely weekend Marjie! gloria

Big Dude said...

Closet cleaning is like some shrub rejuvenation - it must be done brutally. Hope you're having a great weekend around your place - it's a zoo here.

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a great weekend plan, we love to nap on weekends and our dog joins us every time! Have a great one!

Lapdog Creations said...

Hope everyone had a nice 4th!

Steven said...

Thank you for this article, really useful material.
stem cell research | Condiments recipes | pinhole camera | 14k gold chain | maryland limo service