Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Week of Rolls, Part 2

My son Dan commented that he enjoys wheat bread, so I decided to make a light wheat dinner roll. He certainly did enjoy them, including for sandwiches the next day.

HONEY WHEATEN ROLLS

1-1/4 cup warm water
6 tsp yeast
3 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 tsp gluten powder
5 tbsp dry milk
1 egg, warmed to room temperature
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1-1/2 tsp salt


Pour the water in your mixing bowl or bread machine bucket; sprinkle the yeast over the top. Add the flour and other ingredients in the order given. Mix according to my bread tutorial over there ---------->

Let the dough rise 15 minutes, then punch down, divide into 12 pieces and roll each into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheet, flatten the balls slightly, and brush the top with warm milk. Let the rolls rise until approximately doubled in size, about 20 to 30 minutes, then bake at 375F for 16 to 18 minutes, until the desired degree of brownness is achieved.

These rolls are especially good with a beef dinner or a hearty beef soup or stew. They also make excellent sandwiches.

And I know that all of my dinner roll pictures look alike. Maybe I need to make more bread basket liners or something. After all, what else do I have to do with my time?

6 comments:

Pam said...

You are the queen of rolls and breads... they look fantastic Marjie.

SissySees said...

Oh yum. Those sound - and look - wonderful!

Diane said...

Mmmmm I like the sound of the honey in them,can I come and join you for a taste :) Diane

The Blonde Duck said...

If we ever get to visit, Ben's going to get so fat.

I've already accepted my fate.

Lapdog Creations said...

Yum.... I think I can smell the fresh bread from here!

grace said...

soup sans bread is practically worthless! dan sounds like a smart one--wheat is oh-so-healthy and tastes pretty stellar too!