Monday, June 21, 2010

Turkey Tetrazinni Quiche

With some of the big kids leaving to go participate in a National Guard disaster drill near their college last week (they pay $100 per day - it's a good deal), I goofed and cooked too big a chunk of turkey breast on Thursday. So, since Friday was rainy, I thought I'd make Turkey Tetrazinni from the leftovers (which I almost never see). But that just wasn't appealing to me, so I turned the idea into a quiche, instead.

TURKEY TETRAZINNI QUICHE


Leftover cooked turkey - about 1-1/2 pounds
1 pound broccoli florets, cut in small pieces

1 large tomato, diced
1 small onion, minced
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 pound mozzarella, shredded
24 eggs
1 cup cream
2 cups milk

20 turns fresh ground pepper
Crust, if desired

Grease, and then, if desired, line your 10"x15" baking dish with crust (my oil crust made in the pan is an excellent choice, and when using it, greasing is unnecessary). Cut the turkey in small bits, and mix with the onion. Arrange the turkey mixture in the bottom of the pan, add half the cheese, then layer in the broccoli and tomato, and the rest of the cheese. Top with the pepper. In a bowl, break the yolks of the eggs, then beat in the cream and milk. Mix well, then pour over the ingredients in your pan. Stir gently with a fork to mix the egg mixture with the other ingredients, and break up the layers, then bake at 350F for about an hour, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Served with a salad, this fed 8 people very nicely.

Of course, you'll doubtless want to scale this back to feed a smaller number of people; I have a larger than normal hungry horde roaming through my kitchen, periodically bellowing for food. Ah, well, they're often entertaining!

13 comments:

gMarie said...

that looks yummy. I bet my bunch (3 for a week) would eat it. g

Diane said...

What a brilliant idea, I must remember that one for left overs. It looks delicious. Diane

pam said...

24 eggs!!! Yep, I'll have to scale it back a bit!

SissySees said...

As you probably recall, I'm not much on poultry, but I do believe I'd like to try a wedge of that...

buffalodick said...

Wow! That is beautiful!

Tatersmama said...

You did it again... I just drooled all over my keyboard! This looks absolutely DELICIOUS, and I'm sure the old Guy would do just about anything for it! Like maybe mow the lawn or paint window sills!

I would have to cut it waaay back though... or buy a bigger freezer!

Kapitein Haakje said...

sanne doesnt like quiche alot
but we do :D

kissslobbers
El'bow & Hauwii

Christo Gonzales said...

what a nice quiche - it looks really good!

Linda said...

One of my favorite things to use leftovers for....this is a winner.

grace said...

this looks like a good way to clear out the fridge or use up some of the garden goodies we're starting to pile up. thanks!

Mickle in NZ said...

I hope Thor got some too!

Big Dude said...

We love quiche and this one looks delicious.

Ann Made Studio said...

My family wanted Quiche for supper tonight so I knew where to look for a recipe....you did not disappoint :)

(loved your post about what to do with 56 eggs...lol...next time I have a brunch I am making that recipe.)