Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cool Rise "French" Bread

This is another great cool rise recipe from the farm wives cookbook. It isn't really a French bread; it's closer in flavor to Italian bread. However, Italian bread doesn't have any fats in it, so I can't really classify it, other than "Good Bread!"

COOLRISE "FRENCH" BREAD

1-1/2 cups warm water

6 tsp or 2 packets yeast
4 to 5 cups flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil

Place the water in your mixing bowl or bread machine container, sprinkle the yeast over it, add the flour and other ingredients according to the directions in my previous Cool Rise bread recipes. Note: Start with 4 cups of flour. The dough will be very soft, and you'll need to add more flour. It took me less than 5 cups both times I made this.


After the dough has been kneaded, form it into three small or two large loaves. Brush the tops of the loaves with salad oil, brush waxed paper with salad oil and place the waxed paper over the bread loaves. Loosely cover the waxed paper with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours to rise.

When you're ready to bake the bread, take it out of the refrigerator and uncover it. Turn the oven to 375F and let it preheat. After it's preheated, put the bread in the oven and let it bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until nicely golden.
The recipe calls for the bread to be brushed with water and the tops of the loaves slashed, but when I tried that the first time I made the bread, it made the bread collapse. Try it if you wish, but be forewarned.

And, last weekend, I finally got to sew a skirt! The picture is blurry, but, so what! This is the first time since last August I've been able to stand up long enough to even cut out the 3 pieces for this skirt. A friend is vacationing in Mexico, and this fabric reminded me of her - it's a tropical pattern, and her favorite color family! Thanks, G, for the inspiration!

17 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

mmm... can you send some up here? :)

Pam said...

Bookmarked...can't wait to try this.

Cute skirt - perfect for the summer.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Looks so good and chewy!!

noble pig said...

You are too dang cute in your skirt!! Love the color and the "cool" bread!!

pam said...

The skirt looks bright and cheerful! And Yay! You're standing!

Jhonny walker said...

lovely skirt and awesome breads..you rock girl :)

Ann Made Studio said...

Delicious looking bread.

A perfect skirt for that nice weather that is surely on its way :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I love your skirt! And that bread looks fabulous for sandwiches!

Mickle in NZ said...

Great that you're back sewing at last. The skirt is very pretty, just right for Spring.

Paula said...

Cute skirt, cute legs! I'm so glad you are upright. I love the look of those bread loaves as well. Did you add something to one of the loaves? It has a speckled look that caught my eye. YUM! BTW, we are having Margie's lemon rice tonight.

tavolini said...

Your skirt makes me LONG for SUMMER. I don't care--I think spring is okay, but my season is summer. Its the best--warm, even in the middle of the night.

I bet that bread would be excellent for those Vietnamese subs, banh mi. They are my favorite.

Anonymous said...

情趣,情趣用品,巴黎,
情人趣味千奈,
SM,G點,按摩棒,
跳蛋,按摩棒,
情趣味用品,
飛機杯,充氣娃娃,
自慰套,自慰套,
情趣娃娃,自慰器,
充氣娃娃,角色扮演,
情人趣味用品,
潤滑液,跳蛋,
情趣禮物,情趣玩具,
威而柔,

SissySees said...

What a pretty spring skirt!

I really have to try this cool rise bread method.

Sue said...

You're making me really hungry for homemade bread. Looks like a good task for a rainy day.

Dawn said...

This looks so yummy....must make it!

buffalodick said...

Last bread I baked wasn't up to par..then I get scared to bake bread for a bit..

gMarie said...

Fabulous skirt. Glad I could inspire. I'm home today (thanks for the welcome back wishes!) to a horribly cold, wet day. So unfair.

Love the skirt. :) g