Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Zealand Oat Bread

Some of you may know Zebbycat and his person, Michelle. Knowing that I make bread every night, when Michelle visited her parents for Christmas, she asked her Dad for a couple of his bread recipes. I have made this one several times, and never had leftovers. I urge you to try this; it's got a nice flavor, and with the oats, it's healthy, too. Best of all, none of the kids ever noticed that it's good for them. And since I have some of the pickiest eaters on the planet, that's high praise indeed.

NEW ZEALAND OAT BREAD

3 & 1/2 cups flour
1 cup whole oats
2 tablespoons milk powder
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
1 & 1/2 cups water
1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons yeast.


Mix in your bread machine, or follow my link on the side for directions ---->

Michelle's Dad recently came up with an alternative, which I found hilarious, but don't recommend unless you need something hard:

THE BRICK

Follow the directions above, omitting the yeast, and let it bake in the bread machine.

Jeepers, I would have been infuriated!

Michelle, Thanks ever so much to you and your Dad both for this wonderful bread. And, of course, thanks to Zebbycat for letting you leave home to visit your parents for Christmas!

12 comments:

noble pig said...

How wonderful it sounds. It's always good when the pickies like it, LOL.

Mickle in NZ said...

The Brick was put outside for the birdies. I sure hope dear Dad soaked it in some water, and is adding water still in their current hot, dry Summer - otherwise there will be birdies with indigestion!

Dad's Oat Bread is great fresh, and also makes a wonderful toast bread. My dear Dad makes most of the bread for himself and dear Mum, and is now onto his third breadmaker machine (the first 2 wore out).

Happy bread making to everyone from Mickle/Michelle who makes hers by hand - when Zebbycat is snoozling!

SissySees said...

Okay. I'm just going to have to make room for the bread machine. I'm gonna' pull that sucker out of hiding this afternoon and surprise the Knight with some Kiwi Oat Bread. (My NZ rellies like to call themsevles Kiwis...)

Pam said...

I need to continue on my bread baking journey - this one looks mighty tasty.

Anonymous said...

Be careful to use Whole Oats - in the earlier versions of this bread I used
rolled oats - they virtually disappeared in the mixing and contributed little to the result. Whole oats make something different.
The Brick was chopped up in a whiz to save the birds a little bit of effort.

Gordon.
Tauranga NZ.

buffalodick said...

I made an unleaven pizza crust once..it's a wonder the Jews got of of Egypt eating this stuff!

The Blonde Duck said...

I really want to make this. I want to make all your bread recipes. I dub this: Marjie's Bread making year!

And if you can make this, you can do pecan pie.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This looks substantial but light at the same time. Now I have to go and find some oats because I am ina bread making mood!

Ann Made Studio said...

I really should get a bread machine!

It looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

I love bread with oats and you know what they say at my age.....we need our oats!

Anonymous said...

This bread looks delicious! Thank you for all of the wonderful recipes you post. I hope your New Year will be awesome ♥

Nishant said...

It's always good when the pickies like it,

Work from home India