Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Zucchini Bread

What screams of the excess of summer gardens more than zucchini bread? I like veggies, including most types of squash, but I'm always happy to turn one into a cake or bread. Doesn't it make you feel like "cheating" on the diet is really healthy? To my friend who starts her new job today, safe journey, and make this over the weekend so you can take it for lunch next week. Really, it's healthy food!

ZUCCHINI BREAD

1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup shredded Zucchini
1/4 cup oil

1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped walnuts.

Combine the first 7 (dry) ingredients, and set aside. Mix the oil, egg and milk; add the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Add the zucchini, lemon juice and walnuts, and stir in evenly. Spoon into a greased loaf pan, and bake 50 to 60 minutes, until done,
at 350F. There you have it, no fuss. The lemon juice adds a bit of a tang to the bread.

Of course, I made 2 last night. I'll probably need to make more by tomorrow. Good thing zucchini production is in full swing!

11 comments:

Pam said...

I just made zucchini bread yesterday with the kids - it's such a tasty way to use up the zucchini my neighbor gives me. Yours looks moist and delicious.

SissySees said...

I love zucchini bread!

Paula said...

MMMmmm, will it still be healthy when I smear it with cream cheese? The correct answer is, "Of course, it will be!" :-) I love zucchini bread, and it's been a very long time since I had some. The lemon juice caught my attention here. I bet it really brightens the flavor. YUM!

When are you guys starting homeschool? My guy is supposed to start the end of next week, but he'll be at camp ... so, he'll have a touch of catch up. The girls don't start until after Labor Day! It's going to be tough to be homeschooling my son while his sisters are still home. Of course, the shoe will be on the other foot when he gets out earlier than they do in the spring! :-)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

It looks greatr Marjie. I love making zucchini bread because I can sneak veggies in in unsuspecting picky eaters ~evil grin~

Christo Gonzales said...

your square foot garden is fantastic....this is working out really good!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never had zuccini.

And my biscuits are only pretty b/c I get an odd pleasure in stamping them out!

Mickle in NZ said...

Ooo that looks good, light and moist. I'll just have to add it to my recipes.

While Zebbycat would turn up his nose I'm sure Thor would love a slice with his vitamin tablets!

buffalodick said...

That sounds like something that disappears quickly!

pam said...

I can't believe my CSA is not giving me mass quantities of zuchinni. I've only received 2!

Anette said...

How elegant! You must be very proud to use your own zucchini production!

Claire S. said...

Yummy! I haven't grown my own zucchini but I noticed the market had some local giant ones last week. I think they're a couple of pounds each and make LOTs of breads. One could easily make 10-12 breads. Time to pick one up and stock up the freezer.