Thursday, April 23, 2009

Baba Cakes

This is my ideal plate. Not only is a pretty pink, it has defined sections, so the food can stay away from each other. This will be important information later. (Note that since this is hubby's granny's depression glass, it's never been used in our house. But it's cool anyway.)

I found this recipe in the Fanny Farmer cookbook, and I was excited. I like yeast risen foods, because they are often lighter than baking powder based cakes. This is the second time I've tried Baba Cakes, and I'm done with them. They aren't terribly difficult to make, as long as you're willing to ignore a bowl on your counter for a long time, like a couple of hours. They also aren't terribly sweet I used half the batter to make baba cakes, and the other half, with flour added, to make a Savarin ring, and can't say either disappeared quickly or enthusiastically. So, here's the recipe, and you can decide to try it - or not!

BABA CAKES

1/2 cup warm water
2-1/2 cups yeast

1/2 cup flour
4 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
dash salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup softened butter

Soften the yeast in the water for 5 minutes, then beat in the 1/2 cup flour with an electric mixer. Beat the eggs in, one at a time, then add the brown sugar, salt and balance of the
flour. Beat for 1 to 2 minutes, until combined. Cover the mixing bowl and let the batter rise for about 45 minutes, then beat in the softened butter by the tablespoon. Spoon 1 to 2 tbsp into greased deep muffin pans, and let them rise for 15 to 20 minutes. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.

Make a syrup of 1 cup water cooked with one cup sugar until thickened. Let it cool, then stir in 1/2 cup run. Dip the tops of the baba cakes into the rum mix, or top with marmalade. I used mine in lieu of shortcakes, topped with some of the strawberrie
s I froze last summer, and fresh whipped cream.(This was my helping. Note that the cakes are at the side of the bowl.)

I made 12 baba cakes, then added 1/2 cup flour to the remaining half of the b
atter. This I poured into my springform ring pan, and baked for about 20 minutes. Again, they suggest spooning the rum mixture over it. I made a simple glaze and drizzled it on top, then sprinkled praline powder over it. I was less than impressed, because the cake was quite eggy tasting, and not really sweet enough. If you like rum, and are willing to wet your cake, you might well like this.
Now you see my problem. Take a quick peek at my ideal plate again. Then realize that my skin crawls when I see people dunking cookies or donuts. Yes, I have issues; please don't judge me.

Tonight, I take the truck to the lumberyard. Tomorrow, another book sale, and we start building garden beds. Updates some time; happy weekend, everyone!

12 comments:

SissySees said...

I would eat off of those school cafeteria trays with their "compartments" every meal if I could. I don't like my foods to mingle either.

Paula said...

My children would love those plates. They love cafeteria trays and bento boxes, too. I love depression glass, too. Specifically the "princess" and the "sandwich" patterns. Did I ever tell you about the boy I went to grade school with that would mix his entire lunch together into a big blob and eat it (kind of like the movie Elf)? I still gag a bit thinking about it. Blech! Your cake looks good to me! I'm not overly fond of sweets, so I might like this Baba served plain as is. The name is delightful ... Baba! Have fun at the book sale!

Unknown said...

I love divided plates. If JB wouldn't laugh at me for using kids plastic dishes I totally would. It's okay for some things to touch, but not others. g

The Blonde Duck said...

Unless it's Mexican food or pasta, I don't like my food touching either. I'll literally take like a roll of paper towels to the table to mop up juice or sauce so it doesn't touch the other food....

noble pig said...

It's funny but you do not seem like the kind of person who would even care about food touching, it just cracks me up. I love to swirl it all up.

Anonymous said...

I have a depression glass plate just like yours.........and a replica that I use. The husband says "it all goes to the same place so what difference does it make?" I kind of like my things where I can at least see what they are.

Lakeland Jo said...

I am still on my diet- another four stone to go at least. Once I get there I may just be able to treat myself to some of this wonderful food that you share with us

Paula said...

oh babas! I miss those when I was a child growing up in a polish house my mom made them on friday nights! mmmmm!

test it comm said...

I have never had a Baba Cakes. They look good!

buffalodick said...

Those cakes brought back memories..

grace said...

how i laugh--i'm the same way about my food touching. even though it's all going to the same place, i don't like the juices to run together at all (some exceptions apply). great cake, though, and pretty plate.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

My oldest daughter doesn't like her food touching either. I've never had Baba cakes. I'm going to have to see if I can find a Fanny Farmer book from the library and try out a few things.